PDA

View Full Version : Iphone/ Android App for Thamnophis!

twgrosmick
09-07-2012, 05:28 PM
All the other major forums have one...

katach
09-07-2012, 09:28 PM
I have talked to Jason (Boots) about this before. I think it is something that will be in the works, just not now. It takes a lot of time to program and have it work on all devices. Plus if you did an android app you would need to do an iphone app to for the apple users. Lots to factor in.

twgrosmick
09-07-2012, 09:46 PM
Agreed but knowing multiple programmers in the engineering school this is not as in depth as you would think. It could be a relatively basic app that allowed all viewings of the threads in a basic format. I just think it would be something that would draw in more people as well as allow current users to expand the viewing of thamnophis

HazAnga
09-07-2012, 11:59 PM
I have talked to Jason (Boots) about this before. I think it is something that will be in the works, just not now. It takes a lot of time to program and have it work on all devices. Plus if you did an android app you would need to do an iphone app to for the apple users. Lots to factor in.

I don't agree that you'd need an iphone app too, i think apple users can (in nice terms) go fly a kite! Android all the way, an app that allowed basic format would be awesome, might load a bit faster for me while I'm at work when i barely git a signal.

Selkielass
09-08-2012, 06:38 AM
The forums I have seen that use apps want me to pay to download 'taptalk’.
This is not currently an option for me.
I would welcome a more mobile friendly version of the forums- more streamlined, thumbnails only unless clicked on. Fewer links and stripped down graphics.

Please don't force feed me an app with pop-ups.

Posting from a verizon smartphone running vanilla taz.

snake man
09-08-2012, 06:59 AM
I don't agree that you'd need an iphone app too, i think apple users can (in nice terms) go fly a kite! Android all the way, an app that allowed basic format would be awesome, might load a bit faster for me while I'm at work when i barely git a signal.

I second that.

Wyoming
09-08-2012, 11:34 PM
I would just recommend the site admin look into tapatalk

@ndy
10-22-2012, 05:27 AM

Wow! I feel the same way about android users! Strange how if you get a FREE OS you want everything else to be FREE

I use Tapatalk on the 8 other Forums where i am a member and its used everyday all day, i can stay up to date one all the Forum happenings.

I also suggest Tapatalk! Works Great and its not that expensive!

chris-uk
10-22-2012, 08:45 AM
Tapatalk isn't a bad option. But the forum works great for me in my native Android browser, then only time it gets fiddly is uploading a photo.
As a rule, websites and forums don't need apps, all they need is good HTML5 support, all smartphone browsers support HTML5 so you don't need an app for each OS.

RedSidedSPR
10-22-2012, 08:59 AM
App wouldn't be needed if there was a mobile version/tapatalk. It runs ok now, but it's still a pain to navigate. I don't always have access to a computer I'm on mobile a lot.

@ndy
10-22-2012, 09:00 AM
Tapatalk isn't a bad option. But the forum works great for me in my native Android browser, then only time it gets fiddly is uploading a photo.
As a rule, websites and forums don't need apps, all they need is good HTML5 support, all smartphone browsers support HTML5 so you don't need an app for each OS.

I agree 100% I currently use my Iphone browser as well and it works great. Tapatalk is just more convenient to use thats all

ConcinusMan
10-22-2012, 10:57 AM
I'd much rather bring my netbook along then to try to participate in the forum on any mobile phone. Android or apple. The netbook isn't that dang big. It's a 8.9 inch screen. Small, but runs regular windows and browsers. everything works just like it would on any PC. Still a pain to type on though. Keyboard is so small.

RedSidedSPR
10-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Yeah, I don't have anything like that at the moment. Getting an iPad in Febuary, I'll be all good in the mobile department.

ConcinusMan
10-22-2012, 11:10 AM
I really like this little thing. Runs great, like a full sized, full featured laptop but it's little. Built in webcam/mic/wireless-g and everything. Also has a 150 gig solid state drive, 1.6ghz processor, and 1.5 gig of RAM.

Like I said, that screen is only 8.9 inches across, diagonally and it weighs 2.2 lbs. (approx 1 kilo) It's about as small as computers get without hitting an impractical level of miniaturization. These days you can pick one up for under $200. You can't even buy the solid state drive for that little. No need for any "app". Runs windows XP and I use firefox 11.

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/blue_aspireone.jpg

RedSidedSPR
10-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Was lookin at some of those the other day, would love a laptop but don't really want something that little. Might end up with one instead of an iPad though, due to apples insisting on overpricing everything

twgrosmick
10-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Was lookin at some of those the other day, would love a laptop but don't really want something that little. Might end up with one instead of an iPad though, due to apples insisting on overpricing everything

I hate apple... but if price is the reason you don't want an ipad they are releasing a smaller ipad very soon with a 299-349 price tag

ConcinusMan
10-22-2012, 02:10 PM

The full sized Acer Aspire's are good too. They're really thin and light. Good price too. The thing about the laptops is, even if you can't get access to a wireless hub, you can always use a "web on the go" type device. A USB thingy that uses cell phone signals such as Clear wireless: CLEAR Internet | Call 1-877-822-8259 for Wireless Internet | Official Offer (http://internet.clear.com/?s_clid=df01bf6f700f05a1be6d80cef4496c63&gclid=CPmpo9e3lbMCFYp_Qgod4mcA4Q)

It's internet, but uses cell towers. Basically, you got internet anywhere you can get a cell phone signal. Just like a smartphone does with a data plan.

Well here you go. The new aspire one has a 11.6 inch screen so it's a little bigger, Windows 8. http://www.directron.com/nusgyaa012.html

The only reason I was suggesting such a small computer is that it functions like a fully capable laptop, while still being small. A nice alternative to the limits of smart phone browsing/ mobile browsers.

RedSidedSPR
10-22-2012, 07:47 PM
Yeah, that one's nice... Had my hands on it in best buy the other day, that would likely be the one i get if I get one. I can rarely just sit down at a computer, mobility is needed, and whether it's a small laptop or not, it's still a laptop, and a tablet has advantages over that for me.. Tough choice, but I have a feeling I'll be getting that acer or something like it

Foxrun402
10-28-2012, 04:56 PM
This is why I love HTC... Internet Explorer on your phone! Runs the forums like a charm =)

ConcinusMan
10-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Perhaps it does. Now if was only that good on desktops. I hate it. I call it "internet destroyer". Been using firefox for several years now.