PDA

View Full Version : How do you measure the length of your garter snake?

SilasBannook
09-04-2012, 10:42 PM
I am very interested in knowing what successful techniques you use to measure the length of your garter snakes? My snakes are all wild caught and I would like to track their length and weight unfortunately, trying to get a good measure of them seems to stress them out.

Thinking I would be clever I taped clear angled plastic over a yard stick thinking the snakes would just crawl through the little "cave" I created. That led to challenges both getting them in and then getting them back out again. I know that seems a bit silly but I was hoping for an easy and accurate way to quickly measure the snakes. Please share what you guys do. Thanks

Invisible Snake
09-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Depending on how long your snake is now, you could use the cardboard tube (cut or add to it accordingly) from a paper towel roll and place it on the inside of your snakes enclosure next to the glass then entice him to go through the tube by placing food on the far end of the tube. This method will allow him to feel safe in the tube so that his body is straight, and with a tape measure you can measure him from the outside of the enclosure.

Or you can use this app. Serpwidgets - Snake Measurer (http://serpwidgets.com/main/measure)

thamneil
09-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Depending on how long your snake is now, you could use the cardboard tube (cut or add to it accordingly) from a paper towel roll and place it on the inside of your snakes enclosure next to the glass then entice him to go through the tube by placing food on the far end of the tube. This method will allow him to feel safe in the tube so that his body is straight, and with a tape measure you can measure him from the outside of the enclosure.

Or you can use this app. Serpwidgets - Snake Measurer (http://serpwidgets.com/main/measure)

Beat me to it! I very rarely measure my snakes, but when I do, I use this program. Very easy and problem free!

ProXimuS
09-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Man, can some one help me with this?! I got the pic and selected it on the "select image file" area, and it took me to the next page, with a blank spot where the pic should be (I'm assuming) and above it, it says "P9050054.JPG already exists... overwriting. ":confused: Of course it already exists, but not like it's been saved to that site, so what does it mean?! Overwriting what!?

ProXimuS
09-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Maybe nvm....After trying and retrying 1756 times it looks like it might wanna work now....:o

guidofatherof5
09-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Emily, I've told you a million times to stop exaggerating.:D

ProXimuS
09-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Emily, I've told you a million times to stop exaggerate.:D

Ok maybe it was just 1750 times....:p

So I got it, and it said 21 inches, which is the length I got when I attempted to measure him by hand a while back. Seems pretty accurate:)(A little tedious though....but so is trying to do it by hand:p)

Edit: Forgot to mention thanks Invisible Snake for posting that! I remember running across it a while back and didn't use it , and didn't know where to find it.

SilasBannook
09-06-2012, 12:01 AM
Thanks guys. I will definitely give this a try.

EasternGirl
09-06-2012, 06:35 AM
I could never figure out that program either. With my snakes, I just always try to wait until they are stretched out in the tank slithering along and then hold a tape measure up and estimate the best I can. Or I guess, based on tank length when I see them stretch across the front of the tank.

SilasBannook
09-10-2012, 08:08 AM
Hey guys. I worked with Chuck Pritzel who manages the http://www.serpwidget.com site and he said there is a 4 Meg picture size limit for his tool. I believe he is going to put a note on the site and expand the error message if you send a picture bigger than his app can handle. FYI. For those of you who weren't able to make it work, I bet your pictures came from cameras with a 5+ Meg picture size.

guidofatherof5
09-10-2012, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the info. Frank.

Stefan-A
09-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Every single PC probably has some basic image editing software (Windows machines certainly do, since 1985) and the SnakeMeasurer has four functions: Opening an image, setting the length unit, measuring and taking a step back. It should be fool proof.