PDA

View Full Version : Can mites jump hosts? Concerns about my collection

InsanePirateDragon
08-28-2012, 11:54 PM
There's a possibility that a mammal (Miss Kevin the Hedgehog) part of the menagerie that I have is infested with mites. That might have mites and I'm resisting the urge to go Chuck Norris on them and treat my snakey boys and Fry.

Now can mites cross-contaminate species?

And if it is mites when we go to the vet and hedgie does have, should I treat the scaley boys.

I think that my saving grace might possibly be that the mammals and reptiles are roomed separate from each other (Mammals in one room, reptiles in the other) in separate rooms and reptiles and enclosures show no signs of mites at the moment.

But should I worry or is the Snake Mommy Paranoia talking once more?

-MARWOLAETH-
08-29-2012, 03:41 AM
I'm not sure but I think only a certain species of mite infests reptiles.

ssssnakeluvr
08-29-2012, 07:27 AM
mites in general are generally species specific.... they won't jump to mammals. I have had wild caught lizards with orange mites on them, they didn't spread to my snakes. not any worries here =)

EasternGirl
08-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Yes...as far as I know, mites are species specific. I did some reading on it...I read about rodent mites and reptile mites...I do not believe that they will infest a different species. But the vet should be able to give you something to treat the hedgehog.

mikem
08-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Oh No! My Hedgehog Has Mites! » Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs (http://www.hamorhollow.com/2006/09/16/oh-no-my-hedgehog-has-mites/)

SSSSnakes
08-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Snake mites are specific to snakes. Other mites will not bother snakes.

InsanePirateDragon
08-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Thats a relief, I was panicky when I first found them and of course thought the worse (worst pet paranoia ever!) and got some preventamite today while I was out just in case they ever come down with some.

But the Hedgie has them and is now being treated for for them. And this is the first time that I've ever had trouble with mites of any kind at all.

I was about to firebomb the room that she's in and taking preventive measures for the other mammals too that were in there too.

They somehow got everywhere in the mammal room so there's some happy fun times there.

Mites of any kind are no fun at all...