PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Lights With Daylight

ProXimuS
08-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Does anyone change their light timers to match the changes in daylight from season to season? I just realized the other day my snakes light was staying on after dark so I've set it back 30 minutes, and fixed the morning time as well. Does this really matter too much?:confused:

Steveo
08-24-2012, 08:13 PM
It might affect when they go off food for brumation. If you're trying to avoid brumating, I'd suggest keeping the lights on until you go to bed.

ProXimuS
08-25-2012, 06:30 AM
Ahh, I see. Is there any reason that they need to be brumated, if you're not going to breed them?

-MARWOLAETH-
08-25-2012, 06:50 AM
Ahh, I see. Is there any reason that they need to be brumated, if you're not going to breed them?If they stop eating Iv'e heard that a short brumation will get them back on track.

snake man
08-25-2012, 09:32 AM
Ahh, I see. Is there any reason that they need to be brumated, if you're not going to breed them?

You don't need to brumate to breed do you? As opposed to waiting till spring?

-MARWOLAETH-
08-25-2012, 09:52 AM
You don't need to brumate to breed do you? As opposed to waiting till spring?During the brumation period the snakes produce sex cells therefore increases fertility also it's a natural cue for them to breed just after a cool period.

EasternGirl
08-25-2012, 09:57 AM
I only have a timer on one of my tanks at the moment. I have to get more when I can afford them. But yes, with that one, I do change the timer according to when the sun comes up and sets with the different seasons. The lights on the other tanks I just basically turn on and off myself around the same time that the timer works on the one tank, for now.

jitami
08-25-2012, 10:27 AM
Keeping the lights on the same schedule as they have been all summer should keep them active and eating through winter. If you find that's not working... and sometimes it doesn't. They just seem to still know it's winter... then you can cut back on the lighting, leaving them off all together until early spring, or you can offer them a short brumation and then back to the same light schedule. I just wait my kids out and I've had my first guy for 10 years now. They do stop eating and I do take all extra light & heat away, but I don't do a true brumation. Hope that helps.

ProXimuS
08-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Thanks yall! I guess for now I'll just leave the light where it's at and see what happens.

Steveo
08-27-2012, 03:26 PM

Males will do their thing without brumating, but you increase your chances (and their fertility) by cooling them down. Females can hold the sperm but may not ovulate without simulating the change in seasons.

I believe when I purchased my garters, the instructions were to drop the breeders down to 60 degrees and turn the lights out for just a month or two. If your house gets chilly in the winter, putting the tank on the floor with a towel over it might be enough. Basements are also an option if they don't get too cold.

paulh
08-28-2012, 10:26 AM
It depends on what you own. Northern USA garters do need a brumation; southerns need less. T. radix (plains garters) needed brumation when I bred them. Though just how low they need to go is up in the air, as far as I know. Garters will also breed in the fall, especially after a cold snap. Males produce sperm in the summer, when there is plenty of food, not during brumation.