PDA

View Full Version : Restlessness Fall 2012

guidofatherof5
08-22-2012, 08:21 PM
My snakes are showing signs of a seasonal change. A lot of activity/cruising.
Anyone else noticing this kind of behavior?

katach
08-22-2012, 08:56 PM
Yes, very active snakies.

ProXimuS
08-22-2012, 09:22 PM
Yea, mine has too. I was kind of wondering what was going on. So, is this something they typically do in the fall time?

Steveo
08-22-2012, 09:23 PM
Days are getting shorter. My king has been more active but I'm chalking it up to being two days late with her meal.

-MARWOLAETH-
08-23-2012, 06:16 AM
Why would they be more active in autumn?

guidofatherof5
08-23-2012, 06:28 AM
Why would they be more active in autumn?

Preparations for Winter's long rest and for some, breeding.

-MARWOLAETH-
08-23-2012, 06:33 AM
Preparations for Winter's long rest and for some, breeding.Like looking for some more food to sustain them over brumation?

guidofatherof5
08-23-2012, 06:48 AM
That's probably part of it.

EasternGirl
08-23-2012, 09:15 AM
Very interesting! Yes...mine have been very active...all over the tanks...climbing in the trees...looking for ways to escape. Also a lot of soaking and shedding happening. I was also wondering what the heck was going on! Good thread!

Stefan-A
08-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Like looking for some more food to sustain them over brumation?
In part, at least. It's also worth noting that they're supposed to start heading for their respective dens.

-MARWOLAETH-
08-23-2012, 11:40 AM
I haven't noticed much difference in my snake's behavior.I'm thinking it's due to the weather skipping summer and going straight into autumn,he probably hasn't noticed the change in seasons.

jitami
08-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Everyone's pretty content here, but they're all probably exhausted (Ella from giving birth and the boys from getting to know each other). All are refusing food today, though, despite Frick or Frack shedding over night. Odd. Thank goodness the kingsnake ate or today would be a total bust! lol

Eddie
08-23-2012, 07:05 PM
My het for Pied trio is showing breeding activity. My others are also restless.
Ed

guidofatherof5
09-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Looks like I need to add another "R" to this thread.

Ravenous.

My snakes are all eating like there is no tomorrow. They are really slamming down the food.
Normally calm and content eaters are not that anymore.

Steveo
09-02-2012, 02:54 PM
My milk snakes have been pretty active lately. The other night I saw both of them at the same time, which is quite unusual for them. One was wedging itself between the tank lid and frame, which I guess is the same behavior that gets them hiding between bark and wood in fallen timber. I was able to move both of them to pinky rats last night; I'm low on mouse pinks and the ones I have left are rather small so I'm saving them for the garters.

-MARWOLAETH-
09-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Geri hasn't been as interested in her grub since the weathers been getting colder.She's probably just an odd snake though:p

thamneil
09-02-2012, 05:36 PM
My parietalis males have stopped eating. Everything else can't stop eating! Their appetites have really gone into overdrive. I've noticed that my often sedentary females are now quite a bit more alert and active.

guidofatherof5
09-25-2012, 06:54 PM
Restlessness and voraciousness appetites have lead-way to going off food now.
I have a few that go off food at this time every year. I don't like it but have to put up with it.:D

chris-uk
09-26-2012, 04:24 AM
My two radix have been very active for the last month, although I think with the female it's that she's settled and learned where the food comes from so she's constantly on the move and pressing her face against the glass when I'm in the room (will have to get the ThamCam setup again and see how active she is when I'm not there). The male went off food for a couple of weeks but had a good feed on Sunday so he may be back feeding again. Over the next few years I guess I'll find out whether this is a pattern.

The male radix has also been through a phase of trying to tunnel out through the glass, I was wondering whether some species have a more instictive drive to find a den to brumate in than others?