PDA

View Full Version : Lost Garter Snake

Solarib
08-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Hello All, I joined this site a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I let the temperature in the cage get to hot and my garter died. The kids and myself are upset but know they are interested in corn snakes for next pet. How does the disposition of corn snakes and garters differ ?? :cool:

infernalis
08-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Welcome.. Sorry to hear about your garter snake.

How did it get too hot??

Anyway, Corn snakes get quite a bit bigger, they are not as active, but other than that the care is about the same, except they will only eat rodents.

ProXimuS
08-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Hello and welcome! Sorry to hear of your loss.

Suggestion: Get another garter;)

guidofatherof5
08-11-2012, 07:57 PM
Sorry to hear the snake died.
Fix the heat problem and get another garter. Much more interesting then a corn snake(no offense meant)
Garter Snake Forum - Garter Caresheet (http://www.thamnophis.com/index.php?page=caresheet)

snake man
08-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Poor thing..

Solarib
08-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Thank you all for your replies - I will get another garter and read more on this post - Thanks for the welcome

ProXimuS
08-12-2012, 07:33 AM
Fix the heat problem and get another garter. Much more interesting then a corn snake(no offense meant)

Yes, didn't think of mentioning that. You may wanna get the set up all, well, set up, and get the heating under control before you aquire the new snake. And make sure to give the caresheet, that Steve linked, a good read through as well.

Garters, garters, garters!!

-MARWOLAETH-
08-12-2012, 07:42 AM
Simple solution-Get a thermostat so.

Invisible Snake
08-12-2012, 09:30 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum! Sorry about your loss.

Garters are more active, while corn snakes are more sedentary.

Mommy2many
08-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss. Welcome to the forum and definitely get another garter! Much more interactive than a corn snake and more variety when it comes to food choices!

SilasBannook
08-28-2012, 11:33 PM
Very sorry to hear about your losing your garter. Do check the care sheets. I know my kids and all of the kids in the neighborhood enjoy the garter snakes. Highly recommend sticking with them. Corn snakes may be pretty but the garters are quite interactive and you may find them to be much more fun.

Didymus20X6
08-29-2012, 09:01 AM
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/attachments/welcome-lounge/4500d1332817250-just-saying-hi-t9i0px.jpg

EasternGirl
08-29-2012, 10:00 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss. Like others have said...check the caresheet. During this time of year...most garters do not require additional heat. I would be interested to know what kind of heat you were using and how it got too hot so that we can help you make sure it does not happen again.

Solarib
09-06-2012, 09:58 PM
Thank you all for comments - I have an Adult Eastern who I am trying to care for.... This advice will help

katach
09-06-2012, 11:15 PM
So sorry for your loss.

Garters really are the best snake ever to have as a pet. I have 12 now. It's an addiction. We started out with our 2 Pugets, then we got 3 Northwesterns, then one of those 3 had babies, we kept one, then we got a Checkered, then we got 2 more Pugets and a NW, then we got another NW, then another. It always starts as "Oh, just one more...." Before you know it you have 12 wonderful snakies with all different personalities and attitudes, and you can't pick just one to be your favorite. :D As soon as the weather cools down we are getting 2 Redsideds and 2 Radix also.. :o

snake man
09-07-2012, 05:41 AM
I enjoy radixs alot and hopefully i will be getting another one in the fall too.

So sorry for your loss.

Garters really are the best snake ever to have as a pet. I have 12 now. It's an addiction. We started out with our 2 Pugets, then we got 3 Northwesterns, then one of those 3 had babies, we kept one, then we got a Checkered, then we got 2 more Pugets and a NW, then we got another NW, then another. It always starts as "Oh, just one more...." Before you know it you have 12 wonderful snakies with all different personalities and attitudes, and you can't pick just one to be your favorite. :D As soon as the weather cools down we are getting 2 Redsideds and 2 Radix also.. :o

EasternGirl
09-07-2012, 09:09 AM
I have twelve now too! I have to say that easterns will always be my favorites...but albinos, red-sideds, concinnus, radixes...they are all so pretty and all have different personalities...like Kat said...they all bring something different into the mix. I love having a variety. I can say that Cee Cee is my girl...we have a special bond...but I love all of my snakes! No more snakies for Marnie anytime soon though...well, unless the boys next door bring me another baby!

katach
09-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Just one more, right Marnie. :D

thamneil
09-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Welcome. Good luck with your future snake.

SilasBannook
09-08-2012, 06:44 PM
Isn't that the truth. You see another gorgeous snake and its a calculation of..... well, I suppose one more wouldn't be too much. I know that is the calculation I use with my wife. :-)