PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Herping -- Timberback Rattler

Sonya610
08-06-2012, 03:49 PM
http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac295/Sonya610/Timberback.jpg

Photo isn't great because I was afraid to get close and my camera was full. This beautiful big boy (or girl) has shown up in my fenced yard at least twice in the last three weeks, first time found at 11 at night by 3 of my dogs, then today 4 of my dogs found him at 5 in the afternoon.

Thank God they rattle! It let's me know the moment I walk out the door to check out what is up, even in the dark. Both times it lead to extreme high drama as my dogs circled the rattler and barked, and I try to grab them and scream "GET IN THE HOUSE!!!!" (while they try to avoid being grabbed, seeing as how this is exciting and they want to keep barking at that weird kindov scary rattling thing).

Those snakes have good eyesight, once the dogs are up he/she starts heading out of the yard but if I step out of the door even 50 feet away it sees and starts rattling again. Maybe it will learn to avoid the yard? Or maybe I have to get rattlesnake vaccine for all my dogs.

Invisible Snake
08-06-2012, 03:55 PM
Rattlesnake vaccine? Is there such a thing?

Sonya610
08-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Rattlesnake vaccine? Is there such a thing?

There is for dogs, I thought maybe it only covered Diamond backs and called my vet, they said it covers Timber as well. Not sure how many shots they need and I have 6 dogs so I need to research it.

If we are in this snakes hunting territory then this could be a problem.

Chondro788
08-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Thats so awesome, I am green with envy!!! Timber rattlers are one of my favorites, such an awesome animal. Glad he/she is in a safe yard, not one where it would be killed out of ignorance.

Steveo
08-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Cool. I always wanted to find one but I no longer live in their range.

Sonya610
08-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Thats so awesome, I am green with envy!!! Timber rattlers are one of my favorites, such an awesome animal. Glad he/she is in a safe yard, not one where it would be killed out of ignorance.

Yes, it is a stunningly beautiful animal indeed. Both sightings caused much high drama though, first getting the dogs safely away and then scrambling to find/get the camera to work. Snake seems very aware and intentional too, doesn't lash out in a crazy manner, stays frozen and rattles and then hightails it out as soon as the immediate threats are removed (rattling while on the way out of the yard if an annoying somewhat non-threatening human is trying to snap photos).

the_edsta
08-06-2012, 06:27 PM

Hmmm.... I think it would be possible to kill a timber rattler in one's backyard out of something other than ignorance. Dogs do like to mess with herps once in a while. I would absolutely relocate it if it were my yard. I have a strict colubrid only policy!

guidofatherof5
08-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Timbers are awesome snakes. I'm glad it's safe with you. They are protected but within a certain distance of a residence I believe they are legal to kill.
It's a shame they are persecuted they way they are.

kueluck
08-06-2012, 06:49 PM
They are beautiful creatures. A few years back we stopped traffic up at Stone Mt State Park so one could cross the road. A bus full of Girl Scouts said it was the coolest thing they saw on that trip. But I do agree that if possible, to have someone relocate the snake, for it's own safety and wellbeing.

thamneil
08-06-2012, 07:19 PM
Pretty cool! I'll second the idea of having her relocated. Would be a shame to see such a nice snake lose its life.

Sonya610
08-07-2012, 07:50 AM
I would love to have him/her relocated....thing is I live in a very rural area and we are surrounded by hundreds of acres of forest. The animal does not live in my yard it just comes through occasionally while hunting. As soon as it is discovered he/she immediately goes back into the woods.

Relocating would probably mean I would have to capture the snake if/when he visits again and then move it myself which I am not to keen to do seeing as how I have seen venomous snakebite photos.

the_edsta
08-07-2012, 10:44 AM
I would love to have him/her relocated....thing is I live in a very rural area and we are surrounded by hundreds of acres of forest. The animal does not live in my yard it just comes through occasionally while hunting. As soon as it is discovered he/she immediately goes back into the woods.

Relocating would probably mean I would have to capture the snake if/when he visits again and then move it myself which I am not to keen to do seeing as how I have seen venomous snakebite photos.

That makes it more difficult. I'm sure you already are... but be careful out there!

I'll say this much -- relocating (and capturing in general) is a lot easier in cool weather. I've wrangled some GIANT cottonmouths on cool days without a problem... but the same snake on a hot afternoon can be extremely aggressive. If you give them a dark bag or box to crawl in to (with a secure cover, of course!) they usually find there way into it. There is also this cool little trick of using a heat pack!

A better way to catch a rattlesnake - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Z_joo80A0)

Steveo
08-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Are there any local wildlife organizations that would relocate the snake? Maybe keep it for educational purposes? The trouble with rattlesnakes is that they often live in communal dens and tend not to travel too far from home. Unless the snake is moved a few miles from where you found it, it'll still be in it's home range and will be likely to return.

Sonya610
08-07-2012, 01:20 PM
The trouble with rattlesnakes is that they often live in communal dens and tend not to travel too far from home. Unless the snake is moved a few miles from where you found it, it'll still be in it's home range and will be likely to return.

I think there is a den somewhere around here. This is a very rural redneck area and two people that live across town (my vet and my lawn guy) have seen dead timberbacks on this tiny dirt road. Apparently they are somewhat uncommon in this county but they are frequently sighted in this small area. Well my lawnguy told me the only neighbor killed one, and I believe my vet killed the other so they couldn't have been the same animal.

I wonder if chickenwire around the bottom of the fence would help? It is a hogwire so it is no obstacle for the snake at all.

I saw a post from a guy in a nearby town that will relocate snakes and I messaged him for advice, he probably doesn't deal with venomous but I will see if he replies.

Chondro788
08-07-2012, 01:25 PM
From what I have read, relocating rattlesnakes often times leads to confusion and death. They use the same den year after year, and often when relocated do not find a suitable den and die in the winter.

Sonya610
08-07-2012, 01:47 PM
From what I have read, relocating rattlesnakes often times leads to confusion and death. They use the same den year after year, and often when relocated do not find a suitable den and die in the winter.

Good point and if there is a den another one could show up at anytime. Would chicken wire help? I would think so, I don't think the snake really wants to get into this yard, he just wanders into it. If he came up on the chicken wire he would probably just turn around instead of searching the fenceline for a tiny gap wouldn't he?

thamneil
08-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Seeing as you live by the wilderness, relocating is pointless! Just be aware of the fact that the timbers also share your property :)

kueluck
08-08-2012, 04:49 AM
I didn't realize that you were THAT rural. I guess that's just one of the "benefits" to living in an area like that.

BUSHSNAKE
08-08-2012, 05:39 AM
ill come and "relocate it" for you...free of charge:)

EasternGirl
08-08-2012, 10:13 AM
We have timber rattlers in Delaware...but I have yet to be lucky enough to see one in the wild. I really hope I do someday. Lovely snake. Great that you are so concerned for him. Thanks for the pic! Keep us posted.

Sonya610
08-10-2012, 12:38 PM
This morning the dogs found a Copperhead in the yard. He was all curled up and hissy, that would have been a great pic but I was too busy evacuating the canines. I haven't seen snakes the previous 3 years so I have no idea why they are all suddenly coming into the yard.

http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac295/Sonya610/copperhead.jpg

BLUESIRTALIS
08-10-2012, 12:59 PM
They heard you had free food and shelter inside:p

this morning the dogs found a copperhead in the yard. He was all curled up and hissy, that would have been a great pic but i was too busy evacuating the canines. I haven't seen snakes the previous 3 years so i have no idea why they are all suddenly coming into the yard.

http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac295/sonya610/copperhead.jpg

Invisible Snake
08-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Have you noticed any increase/decrease in the number of wild rodents in or around your property?

Chondro788
08-10-2012, 01:48 PM
That's a beauty as well!! What state are you in?

guidofatherof5
08-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Great looking snake.

Sonya610
08-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Have you noticed any increase/decrease in the number of wild rodents in or around your property?

Actually yes, i have had a problem with field mice getting in the house this year. Can they smell the mice from 60 feet away?

That's a beauty as well!! What state are you in?

Georgia.

Invisible Snake
08-10-2012, 06:05 PM
I'm not sure if they can smell them from 60 feet away, but I know they can pick up faint smells of rodents long after they're gone and follow that trail until they find their prey. - Interesting fact, snakes tongues are forked and tells them which direction (left/right) food is in.

Sonya610
08-10-2012, 08:06 PM
I'm not sure if they can smell them from 60 feet away, but I know they can pick up faint smells of rodents long after they're gone and follow that trail until they find their prey. - Interesting fact, snakes tongues are forked and tells them which direction (left/right) food is in.

Yeah your point is good. Thank you. It is rather odd that this is the first time field mice were a problem, and then venomous snakes started entering the yard. I didn't make the connection but you did.

I bought a rat zapper ultra on Amazon a few minutes ago, I truly don't like the idea of killing any non-human animals but this situation is becoming dangerous. Any field mice will be zapped into the afterlife, Godspeed to them.