PDA

View Full Version : New Garter Momma

enchantress68
06-14-2007, 09:46 AM
No babies, just my first garter snake. A co-worker was moving and couldn't take the snake, so we were holding it for another friend, but that friend decided to move unexpectedly (as in she's already gone). Thankfully we were prepared for that to happen, otherwise, we wouldn't have been willing to hold the snake for her. At least now we know the snake will be well taken care of.

I believe she's female based on the tapering of the tail, but we haven't decided on a name yet. I know I'm not crazy about the male name her previous owners gave her, which I won't divulge for fear of offending anyone here. She's currently on a fish diet, however next feeding I plan to offer her a pinkie. Hopefully I can transition her to mice easily and just offer her fish as a treat. She's about 1 1/2 feet long, but I'm not sure how old she is. Is there a way to tell by her length? And she's kind of greenish-yellow near her head and has red markings along her sides that kind of flash when she's breathing hard (or show continuously when her belly is full!). She is beautiful!

I also have a 3 year old ball python named Aradia. I thought it was very interesting how different the two snakes feel and move. Aradia is very smooth and slow, whereas the garter snake's scales are kind of rough and she's quick. Not rough as in unhealthy, but she's a much better climber!

I'm glad I found this forum! You guys have already helped me out immensely!

Thanks,
Andrea

adamanteus
06-14-2007, 11:27 AM
Hi Andrea, and welcome to the forum. I'm glad we have been of service!

enchantress68
06-14-2007, 11:39 AM
Thanks! This has definitely been a learning experience!

One of the things that's taking a while to get used to is that she "strikes" at nearly everything that comes into or near her enclosure. It made me a little jumpy at first until I realized that she's not doing it with her mouth open. So she's basically just 'tapping' everything, including my hand. I don't think her previous owners handled her much. Hopefully she'll settle down with a little TLC. :)

Andrea

Snaky
06-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Welcome to the forum. Which garter is it? You may always post a picture of her ;)

Stefan-A
06-14-2007, 11:43 AM
Welcome aboard, Andrea. :)

adamanteus
06-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Andrea, if you would like to post pictures of your snake, here's how;
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/site-feedback-suggestions-questions/1008-guide-posting-pictures.html

enchantress68
06-14-2007, 11:47 AM
Apparently she's an Eastern Garter Snake, because she looks almost just like this:
http://bolt.lakeheadu.ca/~borfor/reptiles/garter_snake.htm (http://bolt.lakeheadu.ca/~borfor/reptiles/garter_snake.htm)

Andrea

Stefan-A
06-14-2007, 11:57 AM
If I'm not mistaken, that's a red-sided garter snake (Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis) in the picture.

I know a lot of sites are a bit confused regarding the common names (or maybe they are interchangeable, who knows), but T. sirtalis is the common garter, the eastern garter would be one of its subspecies, T. s. sirtalis.

chris87
06-14-2007, 12:01 PM
welcome to the forum. and hope u like it

adamanteus
06-14-2007, 12:02 PM
I think you'll find Stefan is right. It looks Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis to me.:)

ssssnakeluvr
06-14-2007, 12:23 PM
I took a look also..definitely a red sider, t s parietalis..... :D

enchantress68
06-14-2007, 01:12 PM
I'll have to take a picture soon and post it, because I think it's a T. s. sirtalis instead of a parietalis, but I've looked at so many pictures today I'm beginning to forget what mine actually looks like.

Andrea

enchantress68
06-14-2007, 01:24 PM
By the way, I keep seeing pictures marked with things like blue phase, orange phase, grey phase, etc. What do they mean by phases? Do the individual snakes actually 'change' color? Sorry if this is a silly question...

Andrea

adamanteus
06-14-2007, 01:27 PM
No, Andrea, that's not what it means. Certain members of a species or sub-species are coloured in a particular way. When paired to another animal with the same colouration they should breed "true". Rightly or wrongly these are commonly referred to as "phases".

Stefan-A
06-14-2007, 01:30 PM
Off topic, but if I remember correctly or didn't just fall for an elaborate hoax, there is actually a snake that can change colour. :)

Kapuas mud snake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhydris_gyii)

adamanteus
06-14-2007, 01:39 PM
That's an interesting link, Stefan. I've never heard of that one before. It doesn't read like a hoax, does it?

Stefan-A
06-14-2007, 01:51 PM
I read it somewhere almost a year ago. Doesn't seem like a hoax. Unless it's an elaborate one. ;)

enchantress68
06-14-2007, 01:58 PM
I don't think it's a hoax. I found the field paper on it:
http://www.fieldmuseum.org/research_Collections/zoology/pdf/murphy_voris_auliya_2005.pdf

Granted, it would be great if they guy (Auliya) had actually taken a picture of it after it changed color. And it seems this is the only field documentation of this species thus far.

Forever a research geek,
Andrea

adamanteus
06-14-2007, 02:03 PM
Granted, it would be great if they guy (Auliya) had actually taken a picture of it after it changed color.

I know! If that had been me, I would have repeated the bucket trick and taken dozens of pictures to be sure I got the proof. For Stefan, one picture would be enough!:rolleyes:

enchantress68
06-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Me, too! I'd have pictures of the entire progression! Or video! That would be even better!

Granted, I'm the one who has over 1,000 pictures of my 5 mo. old daughter because she does something cute, I grab the camera, I take 25 pictures trying to capture the cuteness, and I maybe end up with ONE that actually shows what I was trying to get a picture of. I don't remember what I did before digital cameras...

Speaking of my kid, I guess I didn't really introduce myself - only told about the reason I'm here.

*stands up and clears throat*

"Hi! My name is Andrea, and like most Virgos, I'm addicted to knowledge."

I currently have 4 "kids" - a 5 mo. old daughter, a 6 yr old cat (that I bottle fed from a week old), an almost 3 yr old ball python, and now a garter snake of indeterminate age. Over the years I've had one deer, two squirrels, several dogs, one boa, 3 hamsters, and 3 hermit crabs. I love animals, and if I had the space and my husband would allow it, I'd have more pets.

I read this forum, among other sites, for 3 days before accepting the snake, and that was just when I was supposed to hold it for a few days. I'm glad I did since the woman moved across the country without warning us, because at least I know I can take care of this beautiful creature! Most of the pets I've had over the years were rescue pets anyway, so this is nothing new.

Andrea

adamanteus
06-14-2007, 02:40 PM
That's quite a collection you've had over the years, Andrea.

enchantress68
06-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Thanks! If nothing else, I can always say I've had an interesting life. The boa, deer, squirrels, and dogs were all before heading off to college. My mom majored in zoology (though she never finished college), so people kept bringing her injured or abandoned animals. Since I left home, I've only bought one pet - the ball python. All others were either rescued or adopted. My mom expected me to be a vet, but I went for business...

Andrea

drache
06-14-2007, 07:10 PM
Hi Andrea
very nice to meet you
and I can't wait to see your pictures

Thamnophis
06-15-2007, 06:44 PM
Hi Andrea, welcome here.