PDA

View Full Version : Attempted fratricide

Steveo
07-22-2012, 05:37 PM
I know we've had posts on this before but I couldn't find any of them...

Saturday was feeding day for the babies (well, Friday was feeding day, but I went to an all-you-can-drink charity event after work and was in no shape to feed). I have six in one 20gal long tank and decided to do a supervised group feeding. About 10 minutes in I had to pull the male Eastern off of his sister's neck.

But then it got really interesting. My fiance decided feeding time was the perfect time to steam-clean the couch, so I had to show her how to attach the wand. I was gone for all of 3 minutes and when I came back, I had to pull one radix's head out of another radix's throat. Both were fine and continued eating, and I don't even know if it was a fight over a piece of food or if it was just the smell of food that caused it.

In response, I went grocery shopping later in the day and picked up some 1 gallon plastic containers. The snakes are getting big enough that I'm not too worried about crushing them when trying to pick them up, so they'll get separated for all future feedings. The containers are short and rectangular so I should be able to use them for the next year. After that the yearlings should be big enough that I can slip them into rack containers for meal time.

thamneil
07-22-2012, 05:45 PM
Sounds like a solid plan. Funny how they just keep eating after you break up the fights.