PDA

View Full Version : Has NOT pooped.........that I know of.

kueluck
07-20-2012, 02:11 PM
I have not found any poop in Zena's tank in over a week. Since I've had her, she always poops on the reptile carpet side and not on the carefresh. I had carefresh, the natural color one in her tank which I've changed to the ultra so I can see this better in case she changes her location. On Mon she had one pinkie, usually two but I didn't seen any poop over the weekend so I was afraid to give her to much, then on Wed she had 1/2 worm, she just looked so hunger when I was feeding Cleo I couldn't resist her. She's getting ready to shed (cloudy eyes, now going to clear) so I don't know if this has anything to do with her not pooping, and should I hold all food back until she does? Today is salmon day and about shoots outta her tank for that stuff. She spells it when I'm feeding Cleo and is waiting for her turn.

Invisible Snake
07-20-2012, 02:14 PM
Has she swallowed any substrate?

guidofatherof5
07-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Give her a soak in a warm bath. That usually stimulates the bowel.

kueluck
07-20-2012, 03:12 PM
Swallowed substrate - no, she eats from her hammock up high. I tweezer feed her.
Warm bath - I did this yesterday, for a water snake she sure hates to be in it. Since I've had her, she has hated going into the water. I'll try it again right now.

kueluck
07-20-2012, 03:42 PM
OK, just finished the warm soak, which her shed came off in pieces during this process since she fought me most of the time. Once she settled down, her breathing was hard and I swear she made a little whimpery noise. Made me go awwwwwe. And I'm not sure if it was poop or musk, but smelled more like salmon. It was heavy, sunk to the bottom in the sink and was cream color, consistency of.............thin pudy maybe. Nothing solid like a real, how to put this....turd.

kibakiba
07-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Urates, perhaps.

guidofatherof5
07-20-2012, 04:52 PM
OK, just finished the warm soak, which her shed came off in pieces during this process since she fought me most of the time. Once she settled down, her breathing was hard and I swear she made a little whimpery noise. Made me go awwwwwe. And I'm not sure if it was poop or musk, but smelled more like salmon. It was heavy, sunk to the bottom in the sink and was cream color, consistency of.............thin pudy maybe. Nothing solid like a real, how to put this....turd.

If your garter is giving you turds I would be worried.
Their feces is usually a wet mass. Usually two identifiable masses with a clear, watery binder.
More dry feces can be a sign of dehydration or some other intestinal issue.
Just my opinion.

thamneil
07-20-2012, 05:10 PM
I think shes gonna be alright :)

kueluck
07-20-2012, 07:04 PM
It usually has a small brown mass with white liquidy substance around it. Kinda like bird poop, but not as runny.
If your garter is giving you turds I would be worried.
Their feces is usually a wet mass. Usually two identifiable masses with a clear, watery binder.
More dry feces can be a sign of dehydration or some other intestinal issue.
Just my opinion.

guidofatherof5
07-20-2012, 07:13 PM
Sounds like feces and urates. The color can change as to what they have been eating. Check out this thread.
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/husbandry/8076-poop-id.html

kueluck
07-20-2012, 07:23 PM
OK, just found this from Wayne on Normal poopsie? - sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum (http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/general-python-forum/92872-normal-poopsie.html) "Looks fine, the white stuff is urates (snakes don't pee) and the dark stuff is feces" I did not know this........I just ordered The Garter Snakes: Evolution and Ecology book. Guess I should have done this a month ago. So if it's just urates, what about the feces?? Do I need to hold food until she passes some or just keep feeding like I have been?

kueluck
07-20-2012, 07:27 PM
VERY helpful, thanks much Steve.
Sounds like feces and urates. The color can change as to what they have been eating. Check out this thread.
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/husbandry/8076-poop-id.html

Light of Dae
07-20-2012, 09:35 PM
I know she just shed but try putting her in a warm shed box(over night or a long time) (keep it warm all night if you can) since she doesn't like the warm water baths. This might help her bowls move. I'd feed her fish n worms only till she poops. (stuff that is easy digestible and will pass fast) Might help 'pull' something through.

?? I'm just guessing, hopping that this may help. Worth a shot.

Light of Dae
07-20-2012, 09:36 PM
Also change out substrate to paper towels would be an idea for now.

kueluck
07-21-2012, 06:34 AM
I think I'll do this, since she LOVES her worms and fish. I'll do the shed box tonite if nothing shows up today. I've got her on Carefresh Ulta so anything should show up on that. After last night with the soak battle and shed I really don't want to stress her out any more by taking away her carefresh. Thanks
I know she just shed but try putting her in a warm shed box(over night or a long time) (keep it warm all night if you can) since she doesn't like the warm water baths. This might help her bowls move. I'd feed her fish n worms only till she poops. (stuff that is easy digestible and will pass fast) Might help 'pull' something through.

?? I'm just guessing, hopping that this may help. Worth a shot.

EasternGirl
07-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Gail...another great book that someone recommended to me on here: What's Wrong with My Snake? by Rossi and Rossi. You can find it cheap on Amazon. A guide book to snake ailments. I reference it all the time. Very good book. Keep us posted on Zena. You might want to take out the substrate and put her on paper towels until you can see that she is pooping normally.

kueluck
07-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Thank Marnie. That'll be next weeks purchase.
Gail...another great book that someone recommended to me on here: What's Wrong with My Snake? by Rossi and Rossi. You can find it cheap on Amazon. A guide book to snake ailments. I reference it all the time. Very good book. Keep us posted on Zena. You might want to take out the substrate and put her on paper towels until you can see that she is pooping normally.

kueluck
07-21-2012, 12:18 PM
No poop report, but she ate salmon like a champ this morning, and she acts normal and looks good. At least to me she looks good.:D

Invisible Snake
07-21-2012, 08:34 PM
*Soup Nazi voice* No poop for you! lol jk :p

mikem
07-21-2012, 09:05 PM
oh, I like orange you can see between her scales :)

kueluck
07-22-2012, 06:58 AM
WOOOWHOOOOO, that's right, I got Zena poop.................and the world is once again a peaceful place.

kueluck
07-22-2012, 07:00 AM
At first I just thought this was Carolina clay, but since she's shed twice and has had several "baths" it's her true colors.
oh, I like orange you can see between her scales :)