PDA

View Full Version : Garter not eating

toffee
07-19-2012, 12:26 PM
I know it's normal for them to sometimes go off their food, but my red sided garter seems to have suddenly become frightened of his :eek:

I changed him from pinkies to fuzzies and he was taking them well, but suddenly stopped. I tried to introduce the fuzzy gently with the forceps, but he would run away.

I have changed him onto pinkies now. At first, he seems interested and comes across to smell them (tongue going crazy), but he then loses interest and goes off. If I try to introduce it again, he heads for his hide. I know they're stimulated by movement, so I try to make it look like it's alive, but just gently, I don't shake it around. I even tried zombiefying one, but he rejected that one as well.

He ate about a month ago.

His viv is clean and he's in very good health and keeps coming out and inspecting the place and sits looking at us. I handle him occasionally, but not excessively as he doesn't like it as much as the cornsnake.

What should I do? I'm worried that he's gone off mice and I don't know what else to feed him.

snake man
07-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Try something else I would say.

toffee
07-19-2012, 01:08 PM
What would be best to try? We can't feed live food in the UK. Organic fish perhaps? What kind?

Invisible Snake
07-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Try to feed him live fish like guppies and if he takes them, the next feeding you should scent the pinkies with guppies or another fish.

kibakiba
07-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Also try earthworms or night crawlers from your yard, assuming no pstricides or herbicides are used... chemicals are a big no-no.

guidofatherof5
07-19-2012, 01:21 PM
Most Red Sided gaters(T.s.parietalis) love their night crawlers.

toffee
07-19-2012, 01:56 PM
What's a night crawler?

We can't buy guppies to feed snakes in the uk, it's illegal.

I could scent the pinkie mouse with some salmon, would that help?

Invisible Snake
07-19-2012, 02:01 PM
I think you can scent the pinkie with the salmon, also if guppies aren't an option then take a look at the forums caresheet which lists other safe fish to feed your snakes.

And I think you guys across the pond call nightcrawlers lob worms, but don't quote me on that cause I'm not 100% sure.

toffee
07-19-2012, 02:10 PM
Off to dig up worm now

chris-uk
07-19-2012, 02:13 PM
I use decent Scottish salmon or trout. If you want to try worms go to a fishing shop and ask for a tub of lob worms.

BTW it's not strictly true that feeding live fish is illegal, what is illegal is causing unnecessary suffering to an animal. In the case of a carnivorous animal that will not take pre killed prey it's a grey area. Not feeding the snake would be causing unnecessary suffering to the snake, it naturally eats fish, so there is some defence. I don't believe a case has gone to court where the live food was necessary to prevent any animal from starving. More to the point though, you can't walk into a shop and buy feeder guppies...

toffee
07-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Okaaaay, I dug up an earthworm and gave it a wash. Offered it with forceps and he came over quite willingly and seemed interested, but he just doesn't seem hungry. Perhaps it's due to breeding season. He's perky enough, but just doesn't seem to be bothered about the food. I'll give it another few days and try again with a scented pinkie. It wouldn't bother me to buy feeder guppies, but nobody will sell them if you asked for them. I'll just have to try a variety of foods and see how it goes. I'd be worried if he was just lying coiled up, but he's whizzing around his viv and looking for ways out at the moment.

Invisible Snake
07-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Alright. Keep us updated on his progress.

ProXimuS
07-19-2012, 03:01 PM
Do they sell them as "feeder guppies?" I mean is that what they are called? If so, I would think they would know what they are intended for... Either way, I'm sure if you go buy some and don't refer to them as "feeder guppies," and don't tell them what they are for, you should be ok. Just a thought:confused:

guidofatherof5
07-19-2012, 03:52 PM
He might just be in a non-food mode for awhile.
If he's active, drinking, pooping and not losing weight I wouldn't get to worried at this point.

thamneil
07-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Do they sell them as "feeder guppies?" I mean is that what they are called? If so, I would think they would know what they are intended for... Either way, I'm sure if you go buy some and don't refer to them as "feeder guppies," and don't tell them what they are for, you should be ok. Just a thought:confused:

As far as I know, it is illegal to use any live feeders in the UK. Therefore, it is unlikely that a shop would sell something under the title of a feeder.

One of my males is currently looking for love. He has gone off of food as well. It could be a breeding urge that has sent your snake off food.

chris-uk
07-19-2012, 05:05 PM
As far as I know, it is illegal to use any live feeders in the UK. Therefore, it is unlikely that a shop would sell something under the title of a feeder.

One of my males is currently looking for love. He has gone off of food as well. It could be a breeding urge that has sent your snake off food.

As I said, live feeders are a grey area rather than being outright illegal. Shops don't sell them as 'feeders' but if you get to the point where they are the only option you just don't say what you intend to do with the guppies after you've put them in your aquarium. I've not done it, but in my experience of buying fish the aquatic shop (if they ask any questions) would probably be more concerned that I have a Siamese Fighting Fish in the tank which isn't compatible with guppies.

d_virginiana
07-20-2012, 01:02 PM
With any of my reptiles, I don't really start worrying about them not eating unless they start looking like they're getting thin.

WOW. I can't imagine not being able to pick up live prey if I needed it. Does that extend to all live prey, like feeder insects? Or just fish and mammals? Just curious.

toffee
07-23-2012, 09:41 AM
No, they do sell insects and mealworms as live food, but nothing else as far as I know. I guess some people probably do breed rodents and guppies at home to feed, but you can't go into a store and tell them you want mice as feeders.

I did try Ozzie with some live crickets before, but he was terrified and hid from them.

EasternGirl
07-23-2012, 09:45 AM
I have had a couple of my snakes go off food for a couple of months. Sometimes they just go through periods like that. Like others said, unless he gets really skinny or starts to act sick, I wouldn't worry too much yet.

kibakiba
07-23-2012, 10:20 AM
Do not, ever, ever feed a garter snake meal worms, crickets or any other kind of insect. They do not eat them and they cannot digest them. If you need to know what sort of food they eat, please read the caresheet.
Garter Snake Forum - Garter Caresheet (http://www.thamnophis.com/index.php?page=caresheet)

Invisible Snake
07-23-2012, 10:27 PM
Is it possible your garter has stopped eating because he's in breeding mode? (Just a thought)

EasternGirl
07-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Yes...as Chantel said...please read the caresheet and only feed garters frozen/thawed pinky mice, nightcrawlers, and fish that are safe as specified on our safe fish list. There are many reasons a snake goes off food....getting ready to shed, in breeding mode, the cold of winter, too hot in the summer, or illness...to name a few. But as I said before, I don't think you should panic yet. Please keep us posted.

toffee
07-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Offered another pinkie and he came across to smell it, but then quickly hid. It's not cold here, but it's not hot either. His heat mat is thermostatically controlled and he has the correct lighting. He seems fine and is still whizzing around his viv. Could it just be breeding mode? How long are they off food for if it is breeding mode? He is very active and alert.

I think I might pop to the shops and get some organic salmon. I guess it will freeze and I can just snip bits off as required. I will scent the pinkie first though to see if he'll take that.

toffee
07-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Yes! He's taken it. I rubbed the pinkie with organic scottish salmon and he grabbed it after giving it a good smell. I'm so relieved. I've put the rest in the freezer, so will just have to take bits off and scent each pinkie from now on.

Invisible Snake
07-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Congrats! I'm glad he's eating again.

toffee
07-26-2012, 02:43 PM
I gave him a lump of the salmon after he'd swallowed the pinkie and he ate that too. He must just be a fishy type. I feel sorry for him now. Offering him mice when he doesn't even like them.

ProXimuS
07-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Don't feel bad. It was for his own good! Like making kids(or me!)eat vegetables:p

Glad you've got him eating!