PDA

View Full Version : introducing

gazzamann
07-15-2012, 07:54 AM
so here we go , i have an albino checkered about 16-18 inches long and an eastern garter snake about 10 inches long. I was woundering if i could introduce them together now or leave it for a bit ???? cheers gaz

Invisible Snake
07-15-2012, 09:12 AM
First off, are they the same sex?

gazzamann
07-15-2012, 09:34 AM
yea both female

Invisible Snake
07-15-2012, 09:40 AM
Hmm.. I would say you could introduce them now but only if they are living in a large enclosure with ample room and hides, but it's tricky, if you do introduce them observe them closely for a few days to see how they get along. And make sure you feed them separately.

Another alternative would be to wait until they are almost the same size before introducing them, this can be achieved by feeding the smaller snake a bit more and the larger snake a bit less.

gazzamann
07-15-2012, 09:49 AM
cheers invisible snake :D

gazzamann
07-16-2012, 04:40 AM
i no its only me that can make the decission but would you attempt it

EasternGirl
07-16-2012, 05:42 AM
I would probably not attempt it with that size difference. All but one of my snakes have roomies...but I was very careful to make sure that they were very close in size before putting them together. You need to consider...if in feeding mode, could one snake successfully swallow the other snake? I know it isn't nice to think about...and it doesn't always happen that one snake will try to eat the other...but it has been known to happen during feeding frenzies. If you decide to put them together...I would carefully monitor them. I always introduce snakes slowly...giving them brief periods together at first...then supervising for a couple of hours after I finally put them together. I would also separate them when feeding and make sure they have calmed down after eating before putting them back together. I do that with all my snakes that are housed together...except for my babies.

Light of Dae
07-16-2012, 05:52 AM
As well be 100% sure they are both female! It can n has happened to people who think they are both same sex and then have the dilemma of 'mutt snakes'

Maybe post some pictures of their vents n something for a good size reference.

-MARWOLAETH-
07-16-2012, 06:46 AM
Would they be ok together?Because albinos and snakes with pigment have different behavior, for example albinos some times don't like light.

kimbosaur
07-16-2012, 08:12 AM
I think it depends on the individual snake. My albino likes to bask literally inches under the dome light (even more than the normal I would say).