PDA

View Full Version : field herpin in brown county!!!

garterman07
06-12-2007, 10:02 AM
i need some advice on find snakes in general...i went herping yesterday the only thing we saw was a toad and it urinated on me...twice. the snake in particular that i am trying to catch is a fox snake. idk where to look, i read up on it and looked in the habitat listed and found nothing, is there something else i could do to help find them? the other snakes we wanted is the wisconsin water snake, the fox snake, eastern milk snake, or the brown snake.

if you want more details on them heres the dnr link to their speicies list...
Snakes of Wisconsin - WDNR (http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/er/herps/snakes/)

i am trying to get a hold of any of those guys, but the one i am most interested in is the brown snake, and the fox snake.

i live in brown country wisconsin, in particular green bay

adamanteus
06-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Chris, when it comes to finding snakes in the wild, in an area you're not familiar with, you can't beat local knowledge. So ask the people who live in the area and who like/keep snakes. Many species, even widespread ones, can be quite localized in their distribution. Find the local herpers, and you'll find the local herps!

Ameivaboy
06-12-2007, 03:46 PM
in my experience best time to find snakes during hot weather is in the mornings and evenings midday is just too hot (in my area) unlike lizards who often give their prescence away by runnign away (makes noise) most snakes will stay still unless you get too close, but early morning or evening you'll find them basking or crawling about
g'luck

Sid
06-12-2007, 03:56 PM
A little advise to add from my experiences. Take your time and really watch all around you, don't get in a hurry. Be willing to spend time looking under rocks, logs and other debris, including trash. This is how I find most of the herps I've seen.

Sid

Ameivaboy
06-12-2007, 04:02 PM
yes I agree with sid but please..... put anything back that you move exactly they way you have found it, I cant count how many times i have found my stomping grounds ruined by careless snake hunters moving rocks logs etc etc and just leaving them whereever, just because there was nothing there then doesnt mean something doesnt call it home.I have spent a great amount of time trying to make areas usbale by reptiles and other creatures again after some ignorant snake hunters made a mess. nature can be delicate please use common sense and respect it

adamanteus
06-12-2007, 04:05 PM
Well said, Kevin. Very good point.

garterman07
06-12-2007, 07:06 PM
i hate it when people do that, theres loads of wooded areas around here and i always see little kids romping around looking for snakes and turtles and they tear every thing up, they make me pretty mad and i talked to the parents, and they said "boys will be boys" so when they come across a rattler and it bites them, then i can say told ya so.

coffee
06-29-2007, 06:09 PM
Hey! Phil here from pjreptiles2@hotmail.com My time's out looking is early in the morning or at dusk, I have a few brown snake's and got them from a worm bed after a rain, I'm looking for eastern worm snake's and red spotted garter's If anyone out there could hook me up. Thank's for reading. Coffee

David
07-16-2007, 02:12 PM
Hi, You can find Fox snakes alot of places in Wi. but portage area is good also along the Peshtigo near Crivitz, Pound area. Please check out my new post, it will set you straight on herp laws in the state. David

Josh
07-16-2007, 02:53 PM
You can find them under rocks basking on rocks or plain old "walking" around.

GarterGuy
07-16-2007, 11:03 PM
I really watch the weather. Most of my really successful times out have been when it's going to be a cool night and then the next day it's warm, but only partly sunny. You see a lot of snakes coming out to bask and warm up then in the late mornings and since it's not real sunny, they don't get chased away by the building heat. I definitely agree with taking your time. There's been plenty of times where people I've been with have walked right past stuff. Good luck and hope to see pics! I'll be hitting the same sight where I got the pretty garter and hognose pics a month ago, so hopefully we'll both have some great pics to post!:D

Roy

Odie
07-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Hi, from Oregon, Coffee :)

GarterGirl
07-18-2007, 04:23 AM
Hey Chris
I've never really gone searching for snakes
in the wild. I am 9 years old so I have
a lot of time to go.
I guess that explains why I don't really know how to do it
but I have been thinking about what Sid and Kevin said.
I definitely agree with them.
DO NOT look under things and toss them just anywhere
when you are finished.
YOU SHOULD be patient and not be in a hurry,take your time to look around you, etc. ;-)

Ameivaboy
07-23-2007, 05:30 AM
I thought i'd throw this in for beginning field herpers
whenever you are moving a rock log etc it is a good idea to lift it towards you in case there is a rattlesnake or other such venomous snake under it that way you have something in between you and the serpent which will aid in blocking a potentiel bite and a trip to the hospital

Happy Herping!

Lee
07-23-2007, 08:03 AM
And never stick your hand under a rock/piece of wood.. May be a rattler or other hot is sitting there and will bite as you reach under to grasp the wood.. Good snake hook is always useful for flipping!

CrazyHedgehog
07-25-2007, 03:52 PM
Hey Chris
I've never really gone searching for snakes
in the wild. I am 9 years old so I have
a lot of time to go.
I guess that explains why I don't really know how to do it
but I have been thinking about what Sid and Kevin said.
I definitely agree with them.
DO NOT look under things and toss them just anywhere
when you are finished.
YOU SHOULD be patient and not be in a hurry,take your time to look around you, etc. ;-)

And Mikala...always go with an adult!!
(I am sure your mums up for it)