PDA

View Full Version : lost ip of tail

salzar
06-11-2007, 07:00 AM
hi all, well my wc daykies snake lost part of his tail,:eek: he was hurt when I found him , and it was coming along good untill he shed.
I spoted him in his tank doin a death roll..... and snapped off the very tip that was wounded . now he has a blunt looking tail , only 1/2 inch is missing and he seems fine with it .
but I am concerned with infection, I have cleaned him and put some anti bac.. salve on it ..
will this be OKAY . :( any info would be great...
thanks
michelle:cool:

KITKAT
06-11-2007, 07:49 AM
hi all, well my wc daykies snake lost part of his tail,:eek: he was hurt when I found him , and it was coming along good untill he shed.
I spoted him in his tank doin a death roll..... and snapped off the very tip that was wounded . now he has a blunt looking tail , only 1/2 inch is missing and he seems fine with it .
but I am concerned with infection, I have cleaned him and put some anti bac.. salve on it ..
will this be OKAY . :( any info would be great...
thanks
michelle:cool:

Sounds like a good course of action. I usually use Neosporin ointment, myself. However, in a couple of days, if the wound is still not healed, you may want to clean off the old ointment, wash the wound in betadine, RINSE THOROUGHLY, and then re-apply the ointment.

drache
06-11-2007, 07:54 AM
michelle
as long as it's kept clean, it should be fine
I've got a couple of snakes with blunt tail tips
one of them I got that way
the other came to me with a tight dried ring of old shed, almost an inch from the tip of his tail, that came off with his first shed here, exposing the bone
it might have still healed, but he snapped it off climbing
it's likely to heal pretty fast, unless there are other things going on
and yeah - they don't care

Stefan-A
06-11-2007, 08:09 AM
The tails seem to be pretty much expendable? Wild snakes often have missing pieces from their tails.

salzar
06-11-2007, 08:53 AM
cool!!
this is what I assumed as well, he is eating like crazy because of sheddding .
he seems okay with out it , for now.
thanks so much .
you all are really helpful and fast too...
heee lol
thanks
michelle