PDA

View Full Version : Small birds??

Lee
06-10-2007, 07:54 PM
I know that Vagrans have one of the most diverse, if not the most diverse diets of all garters, and I've read many times that they will eat small birds. Is this practicle at all? Any cheap birds that are easy to aquire (not looknig for chicken/turkey meat or chicks)? Would it be safe to get a small sparrow or will it be filled with parasites and have lice? Don't kill me for asking this bird lovers! Just trying to mix up my snakes diet as much as possible.

ssssnakeluvr
06-10-2007, 07:56 PM
I have read they eat birds, actually have a pic of one eating a roadkilled bird, but have never fedmine birds. I have heard of some melanistics a year or two ago that were fed baby chicks, but I wouldn't feed that for myself....

Stefan-A
06-10-2007, 10:32 PM
You could probably consider raising quail or finding someone who does. They're small and produce a lot of offspring. Wild birds are going to have parasites, but you can kill some of them by freezing the bird for a few days.

KITKAT
06-11-2007, 06:11 AM
Remember that birds are common carriers of salmonella. Freeze for 30 days before feeding.

GarterGuy
06-11-2007, 11:04 AM
My very first garter that I had ( a T.s.parietalis about 3ft long) would not only eat fledgling sparrows (they would fall out of nest during storms where I lived), but also would eat strips of boneless chicken breast. Now this was a LONG time ago (I was 10 yrs. old!), and now I don't think I'd ever feed a wild bird to any of my snakes for fear of parasites and who knows what else. As far as the praticallity of it, mice are a lot cheaper and a lot easier to get a hold of. If you find some one who raises finches or quail or another small bird and you want to give them a "treat" it should be fine, but I don't think it'll really work as a practical food source.
Roy

adamanteus
06-11-2007, 02:01 PM
I would be worried about parasites, unless as Stefan said, you could find captive bred birds.

abcat1993
06-11-2007, 04:28 PM
I guess if you go dove or quail hunting (or smaller game) you could use some if you have a lot.
I misread one part of Roy's post and I thought it said he fed them shrimp, instead of strips of chicken (don't ask me how), so, in theory, could you feed shellfish to garters?

drache
06-16-2007, 03:47 AM
in theory, could you feed shellfish to garters?
not that I know, but I kinda doubt it
I can't think of anything else they eat that has an exoskeleton

Stefan-A
06-17-2007, 07:42 AM
I don't know if it's ok, but the shop I bought my first garter from said they loved shrimp. That would be f/t cooked ones with the shell removed (shouldn't contain any extra salt). I was a bit skeptical, so I never tried it myself.

adamanteus
06-17-2007, 10:11 AM
I would also be sceptical about using shell fish, I don't know why. Pretty irrational really. I'll stick to trout etc.

garterman07
07-13-2007, 09:12 AM
what about crickets, i hear some really absurd things about feeding crickets, and thats probably one of the most common foods in my house petwise but is it ok to feed them crickets and would i have to scent them?

Stefan-A
07-13-2007, 09:18 AM
Nope. No crickets.

ssssnakeluvr
07-13-2007, 09:50 AM
garters are unable to digest the chitin in the exoskeltons of insects.....I would also avoid any seafood...salt water fish, shrimp......

Stefan-A
07-13-2007, 11:17 AM
I was under the impression, that salt water fish were especially safe food? Supposedly almost guaranteed not to contain thiaminase?

ssssnakeluvr
07-13-2007, 12:15 PM
they could be....i just dont feed them as they are from salt water...just my own personal thing...not sure if theres anything from the salt water that would affect the snakes, since they don't eat salt water fish in nature.....

Lee
07-13-2007, 12:24 PM
There are always these little birds flying around where I herp and sometimes in my backyard, mouse sized, hmmm... Whats a good way to catch a bird if you don't mind me asking? I'm thinking pellet gun because it would kill instantly and I'm a good shot with it.?
(Don't get mad at the idea of shooting a bird with a pellet gun lol)

KITKAT
07-13-2007, 07:40 PM
There are always these little birds flying around where I herp and sometimes in my backyard, mouse sized, hmmm... Whats a good way to catch a bird if you don't mind me asking? I'm thinking pellet gun because it would kill instantly and I'm a good shot with it.?
(Don't get mad at the idea of shooting a bird with a pellet gun lol)

Wild birds are FULL of parasites, and are often carriers of salmonella. In addition, some songbirds are illegal to shoot. Just some thoughts I mused on...:rolleyes:

Lee
07-13-2007, 10:22 PM
I'd freeze them for a length before feeding, that would kill parasites I'm sure and I'm sure they aren't song birds...

Josh
07-13-2007, 11:05 PM
i have that they do eat them

Ameivaboy
07-14-2007, 12:20 AM
I would not feed anything from salt water myself as I am unaware of how garters would rid themselves of the excess salt (like iguanas are known to sneeze stuff out)

as far as parasites and freezing, it's suggested to freeze for 30 days but that DOES NOT elimanate all types of parasites. Garters and pretty much any other species can live with small amounts of parasites with no ill effects the problem lying in unsanitary caging conditions which the animal keeps reintroducing the parasites into it's body and stress which weaken the immune system allowing said parasites to take over

Lee
07-14-2007, 12:24 AM
I'm not worried about icky cages, its a big cage that is getting a cleaning this week hehe *putting in some carpeting along the bottom to keep moisture off the wood. No parasite problems thus far and they are both healthy !

Stefan-A
07-14-2007, 01:40 AM
I would not feed anything from salt water myself as I am unaware of how garters would rid themselves of the excess salt (like iguanas are known to sneeze stuff out)
Salt levels in saltwater fish shouldn't actually be significantly different from those in freshwater fish, I think.

GarterGirl
07-14-2007, 03:58 AM
nope
I thought about feeding mine shrimp but then I said no.
I realized it would be hard for the snakes to digest the exoskeletons.

I have however heard of a lot of pet stores that feed their snakes crickets!

ssssnakeluvr
07-14-2007, 06:29 AM
I've seen a lot of crickets in the cages at pet stores...the snakes jsut end up starving....:(

zooplan
07-14-2007, 06:39 AM
the pet stores I know around here often feed the garters with guppies in bad condition. They may look great with their big tails as long as alife in the tank but there´s no substance for a hungry stomach.:confused:
Is it really cheaper to let a snake pass away than feeding sufficiently?

Lee
07-14-2007, 01:22 PM
Yes I would still keep mice as a staple, however I'm wanting to try birds hmm....

KITKAT
07-14-2007, 01:26 PM
Yes I would still keep mice as a staple, however I'm wanting to try birds hmm....

Did you know that RodentPro sells quail chicks?:rolleyes:

They are at my local herp show every month with them.

Lee
07-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Yea, I realized after I recieved my order from them for pinkies lol ! I don't exactly want a whole bunch of " treats " in my freezer though just want a few to try, don't want to pay the shipping again either lol !

drache
07-17-2007, 03:18 AM
Salt levels in saltwater fish shouldn't actually be significantly different from those in freshwater fish, I think.
correct
salt levels in saltwater fish are no different from those in freshwater fish
they process the water differently in order to maintain normal salinity levels
they also use some process to keep the salt in the water from sucking the moisture out of their bodies, which is necessary because their salinity is lower than that of the water

ssssnakeluvr
07-17-2007, 08:21 PM
thats good to know!!!! Thanks!!! :D