PDA

View Full Version : nesting T. sirtalis neonates

fiorenza
06-10-2007, 10:59 AM
I have a garden. A weedy mound where squash grew was allowed to llie fallow two years. Now i want to till it under and replant it, BUT a nest of T. sirtalis neonates lives there. They are independent, 12-14cm long, not yet striped. I don't know how many live there with mom.
Can I relocate them carefully without disturbing them, or, if not, how long do Ai need to wait until they vacate the nest?

drache
06-10-2007, 03:29 PM
my sense is that they'd take care of themselves, if given fair warning and a decent place to escape to
it all depends on where you live
oh, and nice to meet you

adamanteus
06-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Hi Linda, and welcome to the forum. Don't worry too much about relocating the young snakes. They don't nest in the conventional sense of the word. Just move them to an an area out of your way, and they'll be fine.

Sid
06-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Welcome to the forum Linda. The advise from Rhea and Jame is on the money.

Sid

Stefan-A
06-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Welcome aboard, Linda. :)

Snaky
06-11-2007, 05:24 AM
Welcome to the forum, enjoy it here:)

Odie
06-11-2007, 07:08 PM
Hi, from Oregon, Linda :)

fiorenza
06-12-2007, 08:17 AM
Thanks for all the helpful replies to my post. You all were exactly right. I wiggled the pile a little and they all relocated safely. As they came out it was interesting to note that some were still one grayish brown color while others had gotten their familiar striped black and yellow skin. Thanks - now I hope they get fat on whatever is nibbling my soybeans.:)

cheryl
06-13-2007, 07:37 PM
Hi!
Just wondering if you managed to get a count on the number of little guys you had. Have you had the snakes in your yard for some time, or are the babies your first sighting? We've had a family for several years, but I haven't seen any little wigglers yet this spring.
Cheryl