PDA

View Full Version : Humidity

ProXimuS
06-22-2012, 01:53 PM
I've read somewhere when I first found my snake to keep it around 40-60% humidity in the terrarium("moderate" humidity). I've been noticing in this bigger terrarium I've got him in now the humidity is staying at 40%, so I've been misting the cage once or twice a day. It'll go up to 50-60% for a little bit, but not for very long. Is 40% ok? Or is the misting a little every day good? OOOR should I be misting more?

kibakiba
06-22-2012, 02:18 PM
I'd mist more if the snake is in shed.

guidofatherof5
06-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Watch and see how the sheds work out. 40% is more on the low side but some snakes shed just fine at that humidity.

ProXimuS
06-22-2012, 03:00 PM
He shed about a month ago, so I'm eagerly awaiting him doing it again. I was just looking at him a little while ago, and his eyes aren't blue/cloudy at all....So I guess he's got a little bit to go. When I see he's getting close I'll mist a little more and keep my eye on him.

Thanks guys:)

chris-uk
06-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Our humidity rarely rises naturally to much over 40% in the house. No problem with shedding here, but I do mist more when I notice blue eyes.
The new snake room will have a tumble dryer in it, so that should allow me to raise the humidity and control a higher level by adjusting the ventilation.

-MARWOLAETH-
06-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Just put a hide full of sphagnum moss or damp kitchen roll so he can get more humidity when and if he needs it.Or a large shallow water basin so the water can evaporate quicker [your ribbon most likely will appreciate a good sized swimming pool]:D

kerensa
06-24-2012, 12:04 AM
I vote for a large surface area pool as well. Never had a snake that disliked that... some of mine used to swim to cool down in the summer... and a heated water dish in the winder was a treat for my old ball python boy. he loved that as he got older (bought one for large out door dogs with a thermostat.)

EasternGirl
06-24-2012, 01:21 AM
During the colder months, it is always very difficult for me to get my humidity up over 40%. So, I mist a lot and cover half to 3/4 of the tank lid with a towel to keep the humidity in. I also provide moist moss hides in the enclosures of any of my snakes that have had problem sheds. During the warm months...my humidity seems to always stay around 60%...it gets pretty humid in Delaware. I do know that misting a lot, keeping moist moss hides, and having substrate that is a little bit on the rough side...such as aspen or reptibark has made a big difference with my problem shedders. Hermes used to have a horrible time shedding...but with aspen, a moist hide, and misting at least once a day...he has been having perfect sheds now.

Thamnophis
06-24-2012, 02:45 AM
I keep all my garter snakes (30 - 80 specimen throughout the year) in very dry terrariums with always a waterbowl that is big enough for all the inhabitants to lie in. I never spray water in it and there never are problems with shedding. I do this for many years in this way and this has always worked well.
What you can do is place a small closed box (make a hole in one of the sides) with a moist substrate in it. The snake can lie in it if it feels that it is necessary.

ProXimuS
06-24-2012, 03:27 PM
With a moist hide, how long can you leave a damp paper towel or damp moss in there? I would be worried about mold and/or mildew. Change it every day? Every couple days?

Light of Dae
06-24-2012, 10:21 PM
I use moss as it doesn't mold, paper towel or kitchen roll will get mildew or mold. Moss lasts WAY longer and has anti-bacterial properties that are good for your snakes, I keep a moist moss hide in each snake n lizard tank... considering putting one in with my scorpions as well.

Light of Dae
06-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Oh I don't change my moss unless there is poop in it, I do let it dry out for a day or two But I always make sure its nice n warm n damp if it is shedding time.

ProXimuS
06-24-2012, 11:41 PM
Cool I didn't know moss doesn't mold. If I do this, do I keep the moist hide all the time or just when I see he's going to shed soon?

snake man12
06-26-2012, 08:18 PM
Garters don't really have any humidity requirements but I agree with the others a damp hide is best.

kibakiba
06-26-2012, 08:37 PM
They do. Too little humidity gives them trouble with shedding, and too much gives them blisters. Most people say 40-60% is best.