PDA

View Full Version : colour morphing

stevenrudge
06-22-2012, 12:27 PM
OK lets get serious!
Now that we're starting to get colour morphing with our Garters lets not make the same mistakes as the corn/Rat/python/Boas snake breeders and ruin the true pure lines.
its now all but impossible to get natural (normal)lines that breed true, everything all Het for this and Het for that and were getting to the stage were you cannot predict what your going to get and lets be honest its all a bit of a mess.
So l think that we are in a good poison with Thamnophis Taxa to get this right,lets show the others how its done
Morph away but do it properly and we can have the best of both worlds
Your thoughts

guidofatherof5
06-22-2012, 12:34 PM
I am a purest and agree with your statements about the corns, etc. Seems to be way to many snakes produced in the hobby.
I really hope garters stay the best kept secret in the snake industry.

gazzamann
06-22-2012, 12:35 PM
thats a very true statement steven

ProXimuS
06-22-2012, 12:42 PM
I don't know a whole lot about the morphs(with garters and nongarters) but would hate to see the garters ruined, and really like the fact that (they seem to be) very "low key," not "main stream"

snakeman
06-22-2012, 02:33 PM
There's really not that much left to do.

BUSHSNAKE
06-22-2012, 03:21 PM
ive rid all recessive traits from my collection for that very reason...my collection is pure and clean:)

chris-uk
06-22-2012, 03:31 PM
Other than the mandatory albino checkered, I don't intend to have any morphs. I like the wild-type colours and with the various species of garter I can have variety without needing to look at morphs.
With corns, how many people that keep them really knows what their snake would look like in its wild colours? I think one of the biggest problems with corn and royal morphs is that breeders produce a lot of snakes (I.e. Normals and hets) that nobody wants just to produce a handful of visual morphs. There's breeders of garter morphs around, each to their own, but at least there are people who want the normal garters that are produced alongside the morphs.

Steveo
06-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Part of the problem with the pythons is that any time a snake looks a little different someone calls it a morph and sells it without ever proving it out. There's so much money involved that it's gone from a hobby to a business.

I like bright colors and unusual patterns whether they're morphs or not. I think one of the things garters have going for them is that most of the morphs were found in nature and not created artificially.

thamneil
06-22-2012, 04:56 PM
With so much diversity in the subspecies of Thamnophis, I do not see a huge need for morphs. That being said, the more natural morphs such as melanism and erythrism appeal to me very much. It is when everything is an albino combination that I lose interest. Breed morphs, but do so responsibly!

stevenrudge
06-23-2012, 09:55 AM
l agree there nothing wrong with the morphs,its just that if we do not keep records and track our lines or the lines we buy,then we will end up with the mess that some of our fellow hobbyists have make with other Taxa,just for the record l prefer hypos, exaggerating the colours