PDA

View Full Version : Proximus' Vets Check-up

ProXimuS
06-15-2012, 08:52 AM
I've had my boy for about a month or so. I've seen a few different posts about getting the snakes checked out, so I figured "Why not mine?" Especially since he's WC. Everythings seemed fine so far, but also it makes me nervous reading that they usually keep illness hidden until its too late. So today Mr. Man's got an appointment at 3:00...I don't think he'll be too thrilled, but its for his own good! I'll post how it went when we get back this afternoon:)

guidofatherof5
06-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Looking forward to the update.
Be good boy Proximus.

ProXimuS
06-15-2012, 12:34 PM
I'm about to be leaving in about an hour to go, so this is probably a little late to be asking....Should've done it when I made the thread....

Is there anything specific I should have done/not done?
I told them when I made the appointment that mostly I guess I just want a fecal test and I guess checked for external parasites as well. My reason for asking is, because I want to make sure I get everything important checked out, but I also don't want to pay for stupid crap that doesn't matter....:rolleyes: I'm sure everyone knows how expensive vets can be....(Sorry for sounding like a cheapo....)

guidofatherof5
06-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Cheapo, I don't think so.
Fecal is one of the most important test you can have done.

ProXimuS
06-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Ok cool, looks like I'm on the right page. Thanks Steve:)

I'm kind of excited to show off my little snakey at the vet:D

ProXimuS
06-15-2012, 05:16 PM
Success!!!! He's got a clean bill of health:D
The vet was pretty enthused with him, and even brought one of the other doctors in just to look at him, because he's so cool:cool: She went ahead and dewormed him just to be on the safe side, considering he is a WC. She said he looks really good, no external parasites, eyes are good, good weight (17 g)and said it sounds like everything I'm doing for him seems great!

I'm so happy! :Dx1000!!!!

ProXimuS
06-15-2012, 05:19 PM
I also wanted to add he did very good. He was nervous of course, but didn't try to bite, didn't musk or poop! He did pee though.....but thats understood:) I didn't think he would try to bite, because he's never done it to me, but I've never restrained him and messed around inside his mouth or anything :p

guidofatherof5
06-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Did they get a fecal sample?

ProXimuS
06-15-2012, 05:28 PM
Actually they didn't....but I figured that since they dewormed him it should be ok. Are there other things the fecal would show besides worms?

If so, I'll definitely go back and get it done.

katach
06-15-2012, 05:31 PM
If they didn't test the feces how do they know what to deworm for?

guidofatherof5
06-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Not really. What is he being treated with and what schedule of treatment?

ProXimuS
06-15-2012, 05:37 PM
They just gave him some liquid down his throat with a flexible syringe. I kind of assumed it was like some dog dewormers, that treat for many different worms.

guidofatherof5
06-15-2012, 05:42 PM
It would be good to know what they are treating him with. Just so you know.
Any other treatments required?

ProXimuS
06-15-2012, 05:47 PM
I just called the vet to get the name of the dewormer but they're closed....I thought they closed at 7, but apperanly not...:rolleyes: I guess I'll have to get that info tomorrow. She said that that was it, though. Just the one time, and he can go ahead and eat, and do everything normal.

guidofatherof5
06-15-2012, 05:49 PM
Thanks. Post it when you know it.

Glad things went so well. Has your Vet. worked with garters before?

ProXimuS
06-15-2012, 06:07 PM
I don't think garters.... Its the nearest vet around the deals with "exotics." It is where I used to take my rabbit.

And I will definitely post the name tomorrow when I call.

ProXimuS
06-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Alright, I called and got the names, hopefully they're spelled correctly:D One is Metronidazole and the other is Fenbendazole. I know my dog was given Metronidazole in the past when she was having tummy troubles, but I haven't heard of the other one.