PDA

View Full Version : Babies!!!

Dracaena828
06-08-2007, 01:08 PM
I was just typing a congrats to Kevin, when I looked over at my puget tank and saw what looked like a worm moving in the corner. Go and look closer and see the tiniest little snake I've ever seen!!! So bitty, can't be more than five inches (actually kind of long for how skinny they are). Only two so far, but I just noticed, and there was only one when I first looked so maybe more. She was still pretty slim, I thought we had weeks more to go. She was still eating all the way to the end too. Maybe just a tiny litter. But they are gorgeous and perfect, with lovely color, even a little better than mom's. So exciting!! :D I'm just going to have a big stupid grin on my face all day, first snake I've ever had that's had babies....
Angela
P.S. We were just about to leave in half-an-hour to go camping! Good thing I was here....

KITKAT
06-08-2007, 01:10 PM
Congratulations!

ssssnakeluvr
06-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Congratulations!!! Yea, garter babies can be real small depending on the species. Red spots can be around 8 inches long when born, but thay have smaller litters.

adamanteus
06-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Great news, Angela. Don't forget to post pictures when you get back from camping!

Dracaena828
06-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Nevermind, they are longer than I thought. I took out a tape measure and held it to the side of the tank as they went crawling by and they are actually close to eight inches! Pretty big I guess, though still look unbelievably small to me.... I've gotten sand boas smaller than them lengthwise, but they are such stocky little creatures they appear much bigger. I wouldn't be surprised if there are only two babies given their mother's and their relative sizes.
How long should I wait to feed them? It seems amazing to me that those tiny little heads will be able to eat much.... I think I will have to go buy some little guppies from Petco, no way these guys can handle the size minnows they have there. And not to be totally gross, but what do you all specifically mean by pinky "parts"? What I mean is how many pieces should I cut them into? And I can do this with frozen ones right? Not at all looking forward to that part of these babies' care...........

ssssnakeluvr
06-08-2007, 02:02 PM
give them about 2 days..they will shed right after birth. guppies are the best for starting them....get a low flat water dish and put a bunch of guppies in and they will find and eat them. that's how i get mine started. as far as pinkie parts, I have frozen pinkie rats...I cut the legs off and mix with f/t trout. they have to be eating first before you cna get them to switch to pinks.

GarterGuy
06-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Congrats on your new little ones.....guess it's that time of year!:D
Roy

Sputnik
06-09-2007, 02:22 AM
That's fantastic news! Congratulations. It's so exciting, isn't it?

The first time I had to sort out "pinky parts" I nearly cried. But it is getting much easier. The pinkies are quite easy to cut if you do it while they are still frozen and obviously with a very sharp knife. Just mind you don't slip, best to keep one hand out of the way if you can. I cut them to about the size of the babies' heads. Takes a while for them to work out how to best manage them, but they soon get the hang of it.

When the babies were first born I fed them tiny earthworms from the garden for a couple of weeks. You have to watch them very carefully though as they often grab the same piece of food and separating them can be tricky but absolutely vital if you don't want them to eat each other. :eek:

drache
06-09-2007, 03:31 AM
Congratulations, Angela
what a cool surprise

Snaky
06-09-2007, 05:51 AM
Congrats with the little one's:)
Small earthworms are also often a good starter meal and you can cut them to the perfect size.

Gijs & Sabine
06-09-2007, 06:26 AM
Congrats with the babies, Angela :) Garters can be full of suprises.
I agree with Snaky, we also feed our babies small pieces of earthworms and small fish parts. Our experience says that the still moving wormparts stimulate the babies to eat.

Stefan-A
06-10-2007, 07:30 AM
Congratulations to you too, Angela! :)

Dracaena828
06-12-2007, 02:48 AM
Hi all~

Got one little baby to eat today, not much of a challenge. He quickly ate a little live minnow dropped in a deli cup, then latched onto and gobbled up a piece of salmon held with tongs. I have a feeling he would have eaten much more if I'd let him! The second little one showed no interest what-so-ever, but I don't think he has shed yet, so I'm not too surprised. He is now actively roaming his little tank as I type though, so maybe he's getting hungry. I'll offer again in a couple days. Haven't got any worms yet, need to find a bait shop, but I will soon and will offer these next...

I am wondering if there is a way to visually sex these little guys, or do I need to take them to a professional to have them probed/popped? I am pretty sure they are the same sex, whatever they are. Their tails look pretty long, and there is a slight bump below the vent, does this sound like males? A friend will be taking one, and he doesn't really care about the sex, but I will be giving the other to my sister and would like to get her a mate for it. I've told her she can raise them up into a breeding pair. I would post pictures, but my camera isn't great and these little ones are so quick all pictures are rediculously blurry....

Angela

Ameivaboy
06-12-2007, 05:00 AM
congrats, i tried to pop one of my babies but gave up pretty quickly the are so small and ive never popped such a tiny one before I didnt want to hurt em, I'll give it another shot in a few days, i gotta get mine all sexed and separated before i can sell them, oh and by the way congrats : )

ssssnakeluvr
06-13-2007, 09:18 PM
you can't visually sex them until adult size, and that isn't always foolproof. professional probing/sexing is the best bet. baby males hemipenes aren't developed enough to show. popping is the best way IMO, I have known the tiny probes to break thru the membranes and enter the tail on the baby garters...probably painful for them!

Dracaena828
06-14-2007, 01:49 AM
Ooh, ok, no probing, even by a professional.... :eek: I'll call around sac and see if there is anyone in a reptile shop that will pop them for me. I'm scared I'd hurt them. Don't want to have to stress the little guys by driving too far, but if I can't find anyone nearby the East Bay Vivarium isn't more than an hour away.
The second baby ate this morning. :) Just needed to be left alone in a deli cup and like magic the little fish and salmon was gone when i came back...