PDA

View Full Version : Would This Work?

NickB
06-05-2012, 02:20 PM
If I put holes into the top of a garbage bin (To allow rain in) and then fill it with soil and throw in a few dozen lob worms. Would they breed and allow me a regular supply for the snakes?

guidofatherof5
06-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Depends on the temp and location it's kept and a bunch of other factors.
Trying to imitate nature isn't easy and worm are sensitive to all kinds of factors.;)

BLUESIRTALIS
06-05-2012, 02:59 PM
You would also have to put holes in the bottom for drainage and keep it in a shaded spot. I think a wooden box with some heavy mesh for the bottom and then about 3" of gravel and a mixture of soil and leaves would work better in my opinion because it would be cooler and more ventilated.

guidofatherof5
06-05-2012, 03:01 PM
Good advice, Shawn.

thamneil
06-05-2012, 03:21 PM
I would do the same with a few exceptions. I would definitely poke drainage and vent holes around the bottom and sides. I would also stir the soil and add fresh organic material periodically. As suggested, layering different substances is a great idea. Once you have good airflow and enough moisture, the worms should begin to breed.

-MARWOLAETH-
06-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Here's a care sheet for worms lol Earthworm Care Sheet - Earthworms as food for reptiles and amphibians - Feeder Insect culture care - The Reptilian.co.uk (http://www.thereptilian.co.uk/care_sheets/Earthworm_care_sheet_feeder_insect_culture_care.ht m)

NickB
06-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Good ideas. I was worried if I put holes in the bin then the worms might just escape, a drainage layer is a good idea. I didn't think wood would be a good idea as it would surely rot.

NickB
06-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Here's a care sheet for worms lol Earthworm Care Sheet - Earthworms as food for reptiles and amphibians - Feeder Insect culture care - The Reptilian.co.uk (http://www.thereptilian.co.uk/care_sheets/Earthworm_care_sheet_feeder_insect_culture_care.ht m)

Aaah great post, thanks.

-MARWOLAETH-
06-05-2012, 04:16 PM
No worries

kibakiba
06-05-2012, 09:12 PM
I kept mine in peat moss soil with gravel at the bottom and a couple ventilation holes. Mine stayed in the fridge, though. I got maybe 3 babies a month. I only had 20 worms, though :)