PDA

View Full Version : cleaning the tank?

nelda_rrr
06-06-2007, 05:05 PM
how does everyone clean their tanks? What do you do with the snake? I'm still afraid to touch it let alone cary it out, so I just want to know how does everyone get the snake out to clean their homes? :confused: Thanks *Nelda*

Morph
06-06-2007, 05:16 PM
(this is a total guess as i dont own a snake yet)

try putting a sack in the tank... i'm pretty sure that the snake will quickly move into it giving you the opportunity to move him elsewhere and clean the tank.

I hope that helps :)

abcat1993
06-06-2007, 05:35 PM
I'm still afraid to touch it let alone carry it out, so I just want to know how does everyone get the snake out to clean their homes? :confused: Thanks *Nelda*
I'm guessing it's not your snake then? I'm assuming we all pick it up and either put it in a container or not take it out (like I do).

nelda_rrr
06-06-2007, 05:46 PM
This is our family pet. And I know I'll be the one who cleans the tank. My husband caught it and put it in a bucket, then we went out and bought it a 20g tank and just kinda tipped it into the tank ya know. So neither me or my husband have actually handled this little guy.

abcat1993
06-06-2007, 06:46 PM
I wouldn't bother taking it out, even if you don't want it to touch you since it probably will go and hide, especially since it is wild caught. Just scoop up the substrate where it "went" and put it in the garbage or throw it outside. Unless you're using newspaper, which you could just take the sheet and maybe sheets under it that it went on out and replace them.

Stefan-A
06-06-2007, 09:20 PM
So far, the easiest solution for me has been to keep hides that kan be moved with the snake in it.

I'm considering trying two other possibilities myself; A hide that can be closed from the outside (something like the kind some people use with venomous snakes) and another one that's similar to what Dan suggested. I've seen some professionals use something similar. A sack with a short PVC pipe in the opening, the idea being that when disturbed, the snake would head towards the nearest hole and move into it voluntarily.

nelda_rrr
06-06-2007, 11:51 PM
Thanks for ya'lls suggestions. They are very helpful. I still have yet to get a hide for him. Gotta do that soon:)

Dracaena828
06-07-2007, 12:21 AM
Anything works as a hide for them, something simple is just a kleenex box torn in half and tipped on it's side. In my garter's tank right now I have the box from the lamp that's on top of their cage! The snakes like the hole on top. Of course these aren't the most attractive options, but they will do just fine. Your snake needs a hide to feel secure, it's very important.

salzar
06-07-2007, 06:55 AM
hi I just use an old sox , he loves the thing its right over his heat source and he is just fine in a cheep storage container big enuff to make him feel at home it has substrait and a hide box as well as water. its his out side cage
whilst he is in it , I clean his indoor tank, he never seems to mind this
I do make shure that I put things back the same way , just to keep it less stressful for the snake..
bye
michelle

Snaky
06-08-2007, 05:19 AM
If it's just a regular cleanup of some faeces, I use hot water and let the snake in there. But every month (or month and a half), I do a full clean of the enclosure. I just take the snake(s) out with my hands and put it in a plastic box. I've never had real problems with getting them out. Then I take everything out, clean it thourogly with "Zoo Med ..." (exact name escapes me, but it just needs to be something that cleans thorougly and hygienically). I also clean all the rocks, branches, ... Afterwards I put everything back in place and put the snake back again.

Lee
06-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Don't be afraid of wild caught garters, if you want to handle him, just leave your hand in for while, as he slithers by touch him, let him get used to what your hand is/feels like and he shouldn't be so scarred. Just know, like with any snake there is a chance you will get bitten. In all my years of having kept WC garters, I've never had one bite me, they have tried, but they all settle down easy enough. I had my big aggressive female striking at me when I found her on a path, after a few feeds and getting to know me I could take her out and sit next to the outdoor fireplace and not worry about getting bit.

adamanteus
06-10-2007, 04:17 PM
For day-to day cleaning I just leave the snake in the tank and clean around it. When a thorough clean is needed I put the snake in a deep bucket until I'm done, then I put it back.

Odie
06-11-2007, 02:59 AM
Hi, from Oregon, Nelda :)

drache
06-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Hi Nelda
I do partial cleanings, but even then I sometimes take snakes out
some snakes get in the way more, because they're either curious or agitated
nice to meet you

CrazyHedgehog
06-11-2007, 03:31 PM
You could always wear gloves? gives you a false confidence, so if it bites, then it wont get through the glove so it will be ok, just put it into a pillow case while you clean....also this method will help you get over the fear, if you take him out a few times wiuth gloves on and he doesn't try to bite then is he likely to bite you? (just make sure you have no food on your hands!!)