PDA

View Full Version : fish food?

popeye
09-27-2006, 10:19 PM
I have just gotten 2 types of fishes to feed my snakes and Im not sure if there ok for the snakes. The people at the pet store said they were ok for the snakes but they're not allways right. The first type is white cloud fish which I was wanting the babies to eat, the white clouds are small enough to be eaten by the babies. The second fish was feeder gold fish and Im a little conserned that my adolesent garter will be able to swollow one of these fish.

popeye
09-27-2006, 10:25 PM
I have a photo of the white clouds and one of the goldfish with my adolesent sitting by the water bowl take a look they are in member pictures. Thanks for any advise you think on this matter.

Thamnophis
09-29-2006, 08:00 AM
As far as I know goldfish and minnow (=white clouds fish?) contain thiaminase, so you have to add some vitamin B1 to the food.

popeye
09-29-2006, 01:39 PM
How would i do that? everything they eat is alive? Could I put the B-1 in there water?

Thamnophis
10-03-2006, 12:04 PM
You can learn the snakes to eat dead fish and put the vitamin on it.
Mostly this works.
I feed most of my garters with a pair of tweezers. The tail of the fish is covered with vitaminpowder. In this way they eat it without problems.

popeye
10-06-2006, 02:19 AM
Thats awsome about feeding the fish by tweezers. I used to feed my old snake when I was 15 years old by hand and it would eat worms, coolest garter Ive ever owned

popeye
10-06-2006, 08:44 PM
I got 3 of my snakes to eat the worms from my hand but I think I found out what a food fight is. One of my snakes just cant get enough and seems to be my piglet snake, and the snake isnt that big but after eating 5 big worms the snake changed its attitude. This is so cool.

Thamnophis
10-07-2006, 09:22 AM
Going good in Clackamas, Oregon :)

popeye
10-08-2006, 02:29 AM
As far as the community is going here I would say it is all right in the mobile park I live in but outside there is alot of drug addicts. As far as me I am doing good and the snakes are all right I may need to down grade for the moument thou, I dont have the aquirums to support the snakes and I feel like Im putting too many together which leads me to believe the baby snakes are unhappy

Thamnophis
10-09-2006, 06:00 AM
I don't think young garter snakes get unhappy when they are together in one terrarium. At least not if it are only three snakes.

popeye
10-11-2006, 04:12 PM
Yeah I am currently have 5 babies in 2 different terrariums and 1 pregnant snake in a terrarium all by herself and 2 adult garters in a large rubbermaid containter. I want to upgrade and give the snakes more room thou