PDA

View Full Version : Infrared temp gun

EasternGirl
05-24-2012, 04:35 PM
I bought the Pro Exotics PE-2 Infrared Laser Temp Gun and have been using it for a few days now. I really like it. It's very easy to use...you just point it at the spot where you want to get the temp reading, click a button, and it gives you the temp. I had heard that once you started using a temp gun, you could see how off your temps were before using digital thermometers. I definitely see a big difference in the readings. Plus, you can use the gun to check basking spot temps...warm side, cool side...you can get a temp reading for any area you choose. I find the readings are pretty close to my thermostat settings...only off by about one degree. I found it on ebay for $34. Definitely worth the money.

guidofatherof5
05-24-2012, 04:37 PM
Hope to have one someday.

chris-uk
05-24-2012, 04:52 PM
I've read that temp guns are no more accurate than digital thermometers (models I've looked at measure to +/- 2c, but read to 0.1c) . Are there instructions for calibration? And something I didn't realise was that different surfaces have different radiant heat values (can't remember exactly what the "value" was called) and the guns need to be adjusted for different surfaces.
Having not used a temp gun I don't know how many dials you have to adjust the calibration...

It's my plan to get hold of a lab-grade thermometer so that I can calibrate my thermometers.

Stefan-A
05-24-2012, 06:45 PM
I have one. Different model. No calibration possible. Insignificant price difference. It's butt-grade crap. Compared to an old-fashioned mercury thermometer at room temperature, it's off by 2-4C, not the promised <1C. My digital thermometers are better. You get what you pay for, as always. I've gotten the most joy out of the laser. Fun toy.

There are high quality IR thermometers on the market, made for industrial use. Accurate to 0.1C at -50 to 500C. Three- or four-figure price tag.

Jeff B
05-24-2012, 06:50 PM
best $35 I ever spent. Every snake keeper should own one.

thamneil
05-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Love mine. It's a gift from the snake gods!