PDA

View Full Version : Say hello to...

Dan72
05-24-2012, 04:18 PM
I say Goldie, my wife says Dot, we'll both be wrong if it's a male. So first off, what's the sex? I'm guessing female. Let's see if I'm getting any better at this.

This is why my wife says Dot:

This is why I say Goldie:

I don't know if the pictures will truly represent how pretty this snake is because where I've seen the yellow stripe on snakes in my yard, and I've seen the orange stripes as well, this snake really looks like as it matures it's going to color up more gold in color than anything else. Maybe I'm wishful thinking... :rolleyes: but she really does appear that way.

Dan72
05-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Here are a few more pics of Dot/Goldie/NeitherI'mNotFemale:

guidofatherof5
05-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Female with a bruised/injured tail.

Sweet radix face on that girl.

Dan72
05-24-2012, 04:35 PM
Female with a bruised/injured tail.

Something internal that will clear up? Will sheds help or nothing to do with sheds?

guidofatherof5
05-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Something internal that will clear up? Will sheds help or nothing to do with sheds?

As long as blood flow isn't compromised it should be OK. Looks like the tail was caught/pinched. The first photo shows it clearly.

Didymus20X6
05-24-2012, 05:22 PM
If you go with "Dot", you'll be obligated to get two more and call them "Yakko and Wakko".

thamneil
05-24-2012, 08:45 PM
I'll second Steve on her being a girl.

mikem
05-24-2012, 09:08 PM
She's a good looking radix! Thanks for sharing :cool:

katach
05-25-2012, 12:35 AM
I say female and I'd go with Goldie.

Dan72
05-25-2012, 07:07 AM
I say female and I'd go with Goldie.

Thank you Kat! The gold look of the snake is pretty cool, had she been male I was going to still play up the coloring as an influence and call him Knox. But Goldie it is.

Dan72
05-31-2012, 08:17 PM
Goldie has settled in pretty nicely. Her tank is coming along, a few more comforts I'd like to add, but Rome wasn't built in a day. She had her first pinkie tonight. Half cut in half. She scared me with the first piece, I thought I cut it to big, and might have, but she worked it like a pro and got it down. Had no problem with half number two. So one well feed, happy snake!

katach
06-01-2012, 08:46 PM
Good news! Happy snakes with full tummies are always great news!

Dan72
06-05-2012, 05:37 AM
So Goldie is quickly becoming a favorite. She started out in the kids room to get settled (mostly quite). When momma snake came in I thought it best for her to take the room for the same reasons and Steph said no to our room. That meant Goldie got moved to the living room. This is by far the most active room in the house but I think she loves it. She watches all of us do our thing from on top of her plant/tree trunk. She has the best view of the big screen and NickJr is her favorite channel (kids all day when they're not outside hunting snakes). She hasn't made a choice yet of basketball over baseball but I think shes leanning toward hoops, faster pace of the playoffs. She is all caught up on Game of Thrones (her favorite cable program/and she has a thing for Jon Snow), but we've both agreed not to watch Sundays season finale because we don't want it to end yet. I'm not sure on her age (WC) she is larger than Butterscotch but not drastically. If Butterscotch was born of a litter from last year then maybe Goldie is from the year before. She eats great and has settled in fine but hasn't had a shed yet. Not concerned really but thought maybe she should be due for one soon. Again, hope to get some pics up on my days off.

Dan72
06-23-2012, 05:44 AM
So in another thread (overdue pics) some recent pics of Goldie showed that she was going into shed. We came home last night from eating out with the family and Goldie had left us a shed on the floor of her enclosure. She will need some help getting the last little bit off but shouldn't be an issue. This is her first since coming inside with us. SO, eating great and now the proof, growing like a weed.

guidofatherof5
06-23-2012, 06:50 AM
Nice going Goldie. You too Dan:D

Dan72
08-01-2012, 10:55 PM
This is Goldie's new set up. Thanks to Steve for the tank. All the permanent enclosures are trying out new substrate (thanks again Steve). So far everybody seems to be enjoying it.

Invisible Snake
08-02-2012, 01:22 AM
Nice set-up!

EasternGirl
08-02-2012, 11:55 AM
That's a very cool enclosure, Dan. Did you make that? Is there lighting built in to the top? Can you tell me again what the substrate is...Steve told me what he uses before but I don't remember...I think I may have to try that for Cee Cee since all the other substrates I have tried bother her breathing. Sadie would probably like it too since that was what she was used to at the ranch.

Dan72
08-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Not built, I'm not that handy or brave to try such a project yet. The tank is a 20 gallon long. I placed them back to back (Butterscotch is on the other side) so they can visit between the glass. The substrate is a compressed aspen product called Gentle Touch. Biodegradable all natural product. Seems to control odor well, (I love the smell of the aspen), when it gets wet it just breaks down (falls apart). Food won't stick to it that I've seen but I still placed paper towel down at feeding. They have a website, I like it very well thus far. I was told by someone else that when the product becomes wet and you don't address that it can get moldy. I clean my tanks probably more often than I should, (over-worrier), so I don't see this being an issue. And if it is the only concern with this product then I think I've found my substrate. Also Steve mentioned something about once a knot from the aspen was compressed into one of the pellets which when ingested he thought might have been what killed a snake but they are a real dark pellet compared to the rest (easy to spot) so you know what to look for.