PDA

View Full Version : New forum area?? Maybe new gallery section??

Dan72
05-04-2012, 08:37 AM
First off I love this forum. Still learnning my way around, both the forum and garters. So I'm thinking to myself what would help me learn more about these wonderful reptiles and what could help the site stand out and maybe be a draw for visitors and members alike? So keep in mind I have no idea what it would take to achieve this but here goes..... how about a section where you could click on an image of a snake (sub species X) and when the image comes up or opens the window (whatever) you get general info like name, location where found, things like that. Maybe the pics are some cut and paste job from the net or maybe to make it more personal the pics could be of members snakes. I'm not a computer programer kind of guy, again I'm not sure what kind of work this would be, but I know that to have an area of the net where a person could go and learn (general info) and see pics of these snakes we all love that would be very cool. My list of snakes that I feel I must own grows everyday because I'm doing a Google search, or I see something on youtube, whatever. But to stay right here on the forum and discover these images for the first time would be something that most people visiting the forum or long time members alike would get enjoyment from. So...... any thoughts?:p

guidofatherof5
05-04-2012, 08:55 AM
Before the forum software upgrade we had a "Photographic Library" which did some of what you are asking about.
Someone with the powers and time to set it up again will need to do that.

Stefan-A
05-04-2012, 11:23 AM
The Photographic Library was a really crappy solution. All species and subspecies were on the same page and there were dozens of pictures to load. Many of the pictures disappeared over time, as members deleted them or hosting services stopped hosting them.

guidofatherof5
05-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Sounds like it's time for something different.

What needs to be done and how do we(forum members) begin?

Dan72
05-04-2012, 04:23 PM
I don't have the garter snake bible (Evolution and Ecology by Rossman) yet, but I was on a site today called gartersnakeinfo.com. Jonathan Crowe is the guy running the site. He has a species guide section on the page where he breaks down 34 species of garter. I don't know if he pulled this info straight from Rossmans work? It lacks pics of the species but the other general info (name, location, etc) is there. On this forum I see you guys use a state map break down of what garters are found where when someone posts about finding a snake and not knowing what it is. Maybe a combination of these things, plus pics (LOVE PICS) could be put together in a way that is original to the forum. Improving on what might already be out there. I'm still brainstorming how this could work, but if I come up with something that might, do I just keep sharing on this thread or contact one of the moderators w/pm??

guidofatherof5
05-04-2012, 04:49 PM
I guess you could do both.

Stefan-A
05-04-2012, 04:53 PM
or contact one of the moderators w/pm??
Don't contact me, I want no responsibility for this project.

But do share any ideas you may have, in this thread.

EasternGirl
05-04-2012, 09:11 PM
I think I've been to the site that you are talking about...it's a good site. I like your ideas Dan. I think this would be good for the forum if we could do something like this...but I am terrible with computers and have little time to devote to a project such as this. I will certainly help if I can though.

ConcinusMan
05-06-2012, 02:20 AM
The Photographic Library was a really crappy solution. All species and subspecies were on the same page and there were dozens of pictures to load. Many of the pictures disappeared over time, as members deleted them or hosting services stopped hosting them.

It wasn't so bad. Most of the flaws you mention were fixable but I think that a lack of interest and/or participation in refining and completing it, and the fact that people out there that could fill in the blanks just couldn't or wouldnt, was at the heart of the problem.:cool:

Does it still exist somewhere? any way to bring it back as a starting point for a new and improved library? Do enough people even give a damn?