PDA

View Full Version : After many days of searching, I got one!

Lee
06-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Managed to find 3 garters this morning, 2 where normal looking phases, and this one. Didn't even try and bite, but did decide to poo on me lol. Reminds me of Scott's "Chocolate" wandering garter snake morph. I'm satisifed, while he is only just over a foot hes still full of spunk. Also realized my large "male" is actually female... So maybe next spring I'll have some babies on the way who knows! Here are my not so great pictures. He's not used to people yet but I did my best.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/CapAnt53/garter1-1.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/CapAnt53/garter2.jpg

Stefan-A
06-04-2007, 03:25 PM
That's a very nice looking snake. I know, I know, I say that about every garter. :D ..but I mean it every time.

Except albinos. ;)

ssssnakeluvr
06-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Nice looking wandering...normal tho. I have 2 "chocolates" and they are black with some tan areas. Where did you find those??

Lee
06-04-2007, 04:36 PM
Figured he was normal, just hes darker than all the others I've found so it made me think of it. Oh and hes brown/black with tank to. only dark yellow as stripe. Found them near a drainage area like creak thing next to a bike path.

adamanteus
06-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Nice snake Lee, well done you.

ssssnakeluvr
06-04-2007, 07:38 PM
wandering garters can be gray to brown to green...little bit of variety! They were the first snake I started keeping...back in 1980!!!!! :eek:

Lee
06-04-2007, 07:40 PM
They are very nice garters IMO. Their large size and colors makes them great pets.

abcat1993
06-04-2007, 07:54 PM
wandering garters can be gray to brown to green...little bit of variety! They were the first snake I started keeping...back in 1980!!!!! :eek:
Have you been keeping garters consistently since then? That's awesome.

Thamnophis
06-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Pretty snake!

ssssnakeluvr
06-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Pretty much, was a few years in germany in the army that I didn't have them, but have had them all the time otherwise!!! :D

what can I say....I'm addicted.... :cool: :eek:

adamanteus
06-05-2007, 01:26 PM
I beat you there, Don...I kept my first snakes in 1966!

ssssnakeluvr
06-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Yea, ya got me by a few....although I was catching them not long after that....about 3-4 years....I was catching them when I was real little. We kept fence lizards when I was that 3 or 4, but the snakes didn't get to stay until 80....:D

drache
06-05-2007, 07:46 PM
that's a very nice snake, Lee
congratulations

GarterGuy
06-06-2007, 09:29 AM

LOL....funny....got my first garter in 1980 as well! Had been keeping other snakes 5yrs. prior to that though (yeh, started at a very young age!)
Roy

adamanteus
06-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Just read back through this thread...you know what, although I had my first snakes in '66, my first Garter (Florida Blue T. s. sirtalis) was also in '80!! Must have been something in the water that year!

drache
06-06-2007, 06:20 PM
very nice snake, Lee
my wandering is my favourite
enjoy

abcat1993
06-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Wow, everybody was between toddler and young elementary school age (3-6) when they started keeping reptiles. I just got my snake, but I had anoles (unsuccessfully) when I was about 6.

Stefan-A
06-06-2007, 09:02 PM
Wow, everybody was between toddler and young elementary school age (3-6) when they started keeping reptiles. I just got my snake, but I had anoles (unsuccessfully) when I was about 6.
I was 26 when I started keeping snakes. :D

Started with reptiles when I was 10, if you don't count the ones I had been catching and releasing since I was old enought to walk. ;)

Dracaena828
06-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Wow you guys did start really little... I got my first pet at nine and it was a snake only because my mom didn't like other animals and we lived in an apartment that only allowed caged animals. I'd always loved animals and wanted a pet, but she did not, did not, did not! I remember sitting at the zoo one day just rattling off a list of any animals I could think of, asking if each kind was an animal I could have as a pet. When I got to a snake she paused, said hmm, that she would think about it. Go figure the animal most moms would have said no way to was the one she ended up agreeing to....
We picked up Oscar, a common garter, from the small local pet store a few weeks later. Who knew that little guy would start.... ;)
To this day she is convinced my facination with reptiles started with a baby sitter when I was really young who had a snake that lived in her walls. I do remember that snake and thought it was the neatest thing ever...

drache
06-07-2007, 07:23 AM
all the animals we kept when I was a kid were useful animals - dogs for hunting, horses to help with the harvest and other things (okay, I had fun riding them), chickens, geese and fish for food, sheep for food and thistle control, eventually a cat for mice.
there were plenty of other critters to watch and interact with, but they were to be respected and left alone ("how would you feel, if someone snatched you out of your home and made you live with scary giants?")
so I did not get to keep pets until college and garters were my first

Snaky
06-08-2007, 07:08 AM
Nice catch Lee :)
I had my first snake in 1998 (17y) and my first garter in 2003. And between that period I could not buy any new animals from my parents. I started working in september last year and that's when my collection started to grow... maybe a bit to much to fast:D