PDA

View Full Version : Deformities

Stefan-A
06-04-2007, 11:58 AM
What causes deformities in garter babies? What increases the risk?

I've heard a few possible causes, such as chemicals and internal parasites, but what else is known to cause or at least increase the risk of deformities?

KITKAT
06-04-2007, 12:00 PM
kinks can be genetic IMHO, and I also sometimes wonder about calcium causing kinks.

adamanteus
06-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Excessive inbreeding. Too young mother.

Stefan-A
06-04-2007, 12:06 PM
kinks can be genetic IMHO, and I also sometimes wonder about calcium causing kinks.
Calcium or lack of calcium?

Excessive inbreeding. Too young mother.

Excessive inbreeding, obviously. Didn't even remember that one, which is sort of disconcerting. ;)

The mother's age, are there any more details on that subject?

KITKAT
06-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Calcium or lack of calcium?

LACK of calcium...

otis lee
06-04-2007, 12:20 PM
to much heat has been linked to some egg laying snakes having kinks.

the first of its kind may have just had alot of problems showing or not showing yet.

reptileparadise
06-04-2007, 12:36 PM
insufficient vitamins...some vitamins (I believe A) can cause eye problems, we all know what B1 does. But if you dont provide enough B12 you can gett a lott of premature or stillborn babies.
I have a nice list of all kinds of deformities / problems that can be caused by vitamins, minerals and how do you call them... ****elements...macro? elements....someone help please :P

abcat1993
06-04-2007, 03:40 PM
How old exactly is "old enough" for a female? Would a male being just barely sexually mature increase the risk for problems too?

adamanteus
06-04-2007, 05:07 PM
Personally, I never breed a snake (of any type) in her first year of "maturity", I have seen disappointing results too many times....now, no doubt, loads of people will disagree with me!! It's just my take on this, I think they need a little time to fully mature.

drache
06-04-2007, 06:41 PM
i
I have a nice list of all kinds of deformities / problems that can be caused by vitamins, minerals and how do you call them... ****elements...macro? elements....someone help please :P

micro-nutrients I think

drache
06-04-2007, 06:42 PM
or trace elements
yeah, that's it

Thamnophis
06-04-2007, 09:57 PM
The Dutch word "Sporenelementen" must be translated with the English word: Trace minerals.

Sticky Tongue Minerall indoor formula (http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/-/sticky-tongue-minerall-indoor-formula/)

reptileparadise
06-05-2007, 01:04 PM
Yeah...thats it!
It was on the tip off my tongue...I could almost taste it :P

cornsnakesalive
06-05-2007, 06:10 PM
I have never produced a single Garter, but I was thinking about this today because just about ALL of the litters of Garters that have been posted recently had some defects. In breeding is certainly a way to find fatal genes if they are there, but doesn’t cause kinking. If no fatal genes exist in the line, in breeding alone wouldn’t cause it, plus I suspect Garters in-breed more than most species of snakes.

What about insufficient heat gradients available for the females? I keep my Corn Snake egg incubation conditions well regulated. I know when I bred Boas, the females internal thermostat kept them moving constantly to maintain what mother nature told them was the perfect temperature to incubate the eggs inside her. I have been watching some gravid female Garters near my house, and they are really spending a lot of time on some pretty hot rocks, but get cooled at night. I bet if a captive Garters cage is too hot, or if she doesn’t have the opportunity to get her temp up to the levels she wants too, it sure can’t help her babies any.

I am a shoe box and sweeter box Corn Snake breeder, but I think it would be very difficult to create the perfect conditions in a sweeter box to incubate Garter babies properly. I think if they are set up with a nice temp gradient and a hot spot, the females would incubate them perfectly and this would at least eliminate this possible cause of defects.

Thamnophis
06-05-2007, 08:13 PM
I agree with Joe (cornsnakesalive) about what he says about the temperatures.
I suspect that a lot of garter snakes are kept to warm. And this could well cause some kinks. On the other hand... if there are only a few "kinked" specimen in a litter and the other juveniles are ok, how do you explain that?

Probably it is "normal" that there are a few specimen in a litter that are not good.

Wether garter snakes are in-bred more than other snakes... I do not believe that.
Lots of garter snakes are wildcaught (in the USA).