PDA

View Full Version : Alice

harpercat
04-25-2012, 07:07 AM
Here's a photo of Alice, my 4-year-old albino chequered, doing her bit to disprove that old nonsense about how snakes "always" start swallowing at the head end! ;) By the way, she likes being out of her viv when she eats. She takes food from my hand very gently and just seems to enjoy being in close proximity to me at mealtimes.

Invisible Snake
04-25-2012, 07:14 AM
Awesome pic, thanks for sharing it with us :)

guidofatherof5
04-25-2012, 07:32 AM
Nice.

Didymus20X6
04-25-2012, 08:07 AM
I've seen Little Dude swallow plenty of fish tail-first and frogs butt-first.

harpercat
04-25-2012, 09:02 AM
Alice will go out of her way to turn them round to make sure she starts at the tail. I have other snakes of varying species who do this too. Maybe they like the different sensation, who knows? Thanks for the lovely comments. Alice is a super girl, very sweet-natured. She loves being petted.

mikem
04-25-2012, 01:46 PM
Great picture! Thanks for sharing :cool:

EasternGirl
04-25-2012, 02:21 PM
That's awesome! Very cool that she likes to eat out of the viv and when she is close to you. Garters are so cool.

kibakiba
04-25-2012, 03:23 PM
It's easier for a garter to take them end first, because the feet face the way they are swallowing. Whenever my snakes eat them head first, the little feet prevent them from swallowing. I usually have to cut the feet off, because my snakes wont take them end first.... ;)

Eight
04-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Awesome snake. I've had a few of mine eat the wrong way, but I can't see the harm if they are pre killed.

harpercat
04-25-2012, 06:43 PM
Awesome snake. I've had a few of mine eat the wrong way, but I can't see the harm if they are pre killed.

My thoughts entirely. Alice usually takes the first one head first and then it seems to be on a whim. I've never seen anyone have a problem with the rodent's feet to be honest, they can usually accommodate them easily enough. It seems to be purely on a whim. Alice usually takes at least the first one head first and then swaps round. She's even had rat pups where the legs have already fallen off and has turned them round to start at the tail end! I love the fact that she likes to relax in my arms or on my lap when she eats. It's a privilege, as far as I am concerned.

candoia aspera
04-26-2012, 08:48 AM
My thoughts entirely. Alice usually takes the first one head first and then it seems to be on a whim. I've never seen anyone have a problem with the rodent's feet to be honest, they can usually accommodate them easily enough. It seems to be purely on a whim. Alice usually takes at least the first one head first and then swaps round. She's even had rat pups where the legs have already fallen off and has turned them round to start at the tail end! I love the fact that she likes to relax in my arms or on my lap when she eats. It's a privilege, as far as I am concerned.

Hi Yvonne, i didn't realise you had garters. I can never get the males to relax but all my females are amazingly chilled out and super clever little beasties. I've seen mine fold a mouse in half and swallow it that way and not even be phased by it :D

harpercat
04-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Garters are my first love, and always will be! I started with garters almost 30 years ago, having fallen in love with them as a teenager when my then boyfriend kept them. He became history but the garters were infinitely more fascinating!! ;) LOL

I have two adult pairs, one of which has bred, plus Alice, two juveniles, and some chequered and northern babies. I also have a pair of ribbon snakes who have been putting in some prractice!

gregmonsta
04-26-2012, 09:15 AM
northern babies

Unfortunately you don't. There is no such thing. Please post pictures so we can help you identify these properly ;)

harpercat
04-26-2012, 09:46 AM
Oops, my mistake. I was told that common garter snakes Thamnophis sirtalis were "Northern garter snakes" as a teenager and I still think of them as that. Old habits die hard!

candoia aspera
04-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Garters are my first love, and always will be! I started with garters almost 30 years ago, having fallen in love with them as a teenager when my then boyfriend kept them. He became history but the garters were infinitely more fascinating!! ;) LOL

I have two adult pairs, one of which has bred, plus Alice, two juveniles, and some chequered and northern babies. I also have a pair of ribbon snakes who have been putting in some prractice!

An albino checkered was the very fist snake i handled and i then did the normal path of loving royals then boas, burms, all sorts of venomous colubrids including boiga etc. My mrs has always known what she likes and over the past few years has been attracted to the Asian rat snakes. I've found myself drifting since geting into reptiles and not being able to find direction. God knows how many years after i first got the "bug" i found myself re-kindling my love with Thamnophis and i don't think i'll ever go back.