PDA

View Full Version : Snow sirtalis (sort of)

infernalis
04-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Yesterday we had this....

http://www.thamnophis.co/storm/storm.jpg

The ground is still covered with wet sloppy snow, about 45 minutes ago I noticed something dark under the surface while out walking the dogs, so I reach down and dug out a Garter snake.

When I first brought it in the house, his body temperature was 36 degrees.

Warmed it to a nice 82 degrees and it's doing fine.

Will be released once the normal spring weather returns.

http://www.thamnophis.co/storm/garter.jpg

guidofatherof5
04-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Nice save Wayne. Glad you were there to lend a hand.

mikem
04-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Yes, good save!

Eight
04-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Good job. I can't help but help when I see an animal in need. I think I helped a newt today, but thats about as good as it gets for me. I take it this is out of season weather for you?

BlakeTheSnake
04-24-2012, 12:08 PM
wow that's awesome. Nice job!

d_virginiana
04-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Nice save! When I saw the title I expected to see a snow sirtalis... Like a morph :rolleyes: This was more interesting though.

My fiance saved one yesterday dealing with a similar problem. He does landscaping, and the random cold-snap we just had meant lots of snakes unable to move around and get out of the way.

katach
04-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Very nice save. That is a looker there.

infernalis
04-24-2012, 04:43 PM
I take it this is out of season weather for you?

Considering the last few weeks have been quite balmy, this snow storm was very unexpected. The only thing saving the snakes is that the ground has retained some warmth, it's melted off and raining now.

EasternGirl
04-24-2012, 06:49 PM
Awesome save! I have been so worried about the wild snakes with this strange weather everyone has been having. I keep thinking the snakes around here must know what's up since none have come out yet this year. Very nice looking snake! I heard that quite a few states got a decent amount of snow this week. Glad you were there to find the little guy/girl.

infernalis
04-24-2012, 07:50 PM
My thoughts are with the gravid females that may have been caught out in this..