PDA

View Full Version : Books mags

Dan72
04-11-2012, 12:34 PM
I love being on the forum but we can't be glued to the computer every minute of every day. Are there any good books out there, something updated and recent, that covers garters? Maybe a magazine that you subscribe to? I know with modern tech being what it is who holds a magazine or a book (Kindle and the like), but I'm a big bibliophile. If I ever have as many snakes as I do books I'll be in trouble. Just looking for some reference material, maybe start a new section in the home library!

mikem
04-11-2012, 12:42 PM
The Garter Snakes: Evolution and Ecology

guidofatherof5
04-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Like Mike said.
Wish there were a magazine dedicated to garter snakes.
It's on my list of things to do when my ship comes in. Anybody got any news on when the Titanic docks?:D
Amazon.com: The Garter Snakes: Evolution and Ecology (Animal Natural History Series) (9780806128207): Douglas A. Rossman, Neil B. Ford, Richard A. Seigel: Books (http://www.amazon.com/The-Garter-Snakes-Evolution-Ecology/dp/0806128208)

kibakiba
04-11-2012, 01:19 PM
I think it'd be cool if all of the forum members (who are interested) save up some money and we could all write articles and make a magazine.

chris-uk
04-11-2012, 01:19 PM
We're big book fans in this house, we have many more bookshelves than vivs.
There's the book Steve linked to, but for such a common snake there's very little published for garters.

Dan72
04-11-2012, 01:25 PM
The Garter Snakes: Evolution and Ecology
Just looked this up on Barnes & Noble website, looks AMAZING! We have a Half Price Books here in Des Moines, might add this to my search/wish list and hope it comes in. If not the Birthday is coming up, might have to redue the list for the wife. Thanks Mike. Steve, I'll sign up for a lifetime subscription just let me know when the boat docks.:rolleyes:

chris-uk
04-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Just looked this up on Barnes & Noble website, looks AMAZING! We have a Half Price Books here in Des Moines, might add this to my search/wish list and hope it comes in. If not the Birthday is coming up, might have to redue the list for the wife. Thanks Mike. Steve, I'll sign up for a lifetime subscription just let me know when the boat docks.:rolleyes:

I wouldn't bank on finding it in a half-price shop. It's not the sort of book you find in a shop unless they order it in. It would be a worthwhile birthday present from the wife. I bought it for "us" and didn't tell the wife how expensive it was...

guidofatherof5
04-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Found a brand new edition for $19.99 at an out of the way book store. It made a perfect gift.
I of course asked if they had more then one copy. They didn't.:(
I paid over twice that amount for my copy.

Thamnophis
04-15-2012, 05:06 AM
There is a magazine that is only about Thamnophis. But it is for the biggest part in german language. Home: European Garter Snake Association (www.EGSA.de) (http://www.egsa.de)

And look here...

Boeken « Thamnophis (http://www.kousebandslangen.nl/thamnophis/?page_id=741)

EasternGirl
04-15-2012, 06:06 AM
Here are a couple of others I found on Amazon...nothing compared to the bible (The Garter Snakes: Evolution and Ecology) of course, but they are a decent read: Barron's Reptile Keeper's Guides: Garter and Ribbon Snakes, by Bartlett and Bartlett, and Garter and Water Snakes, by David Perlowin. Another very good reference guide for snake ailments: What's Wrong with My Snake?, by Rossi and Rossi.

Selkielass
04-15-2012, 10:40 AM
I've considered tossing out the ideaof an online magazine here to see if anyone 'bit'.
I've also considered starting a facebook account for 'Abigail Vandersnake' and inviting other garters to send in 'Dear Abby...' letters, but I couldn't handle it alone with my limited internet access.

Something like this might make a cool front page feature for this site tho- what about it mods?
Featured article of the week or month?