PDA

View Full Version : Holy crap it's been a long time! (snake updates, pics, all that fun stuff)

d_virginiana
04-07-2012, 11:38 PM
Wow, it kind of feels weird to start posting on here again after being off for so long!

I finally found a pet-friendly apartment for where I am living next year, and just got a bunch of pics from my parents who are currently taking care of my babies :) Or maybe it's just that the snakes around here are finally coming out and it's inspired me to start posting on here again.

Here are some pictures and random updates:

Harley has shaken off her mouth infection from Christmas, but she's been eating a lot since her cage is still in the frog room which is really warm (we don't have 'my bedroom' and the 'spare room', we have the 'snake room' and the 'frog room'...) so she's growing like crazy! You can really see the male/female difference between her and Houdini now, especially in the head/neck area!

And here is Houdini looking very pretty. He's developed what I think is arthritis at one spot near his tail (it looks a lot like a minor version of what I saw in Steve's thread about a snake that had rheumatoid arthritis...) but he's adjusted to eating out of a dish and is doing great.

kibakiba
04-08-2012, 12:09 AM
Good to see you again Lora! We (well, at least I) have missed you! I'm glad to hear that Harley and Houdini are doing good. Harley is so pretty! And Houdini is adorrrraaablleee!

d_virginiana
04-08-2012, 12:43 AM
I was starting to go into garter snake withdrawal! That's an actual thing, right? lol

kibakiba
04-08-2012, 12:47 AM
Yes! I withdrawal from my snakes when I cant hold them. I was having problems with depression and I didn't hold my snakies for 3 weeks... I can't stop holding them now that I'm fine. Haha.

chris-uk
04-08-2012, 01:38 AM
Welcome back Lora. You can run and go into denial, but eventually the addiction returns. :)
It's really good news that you've found a snake-friendly place to live and that you'll have your garters back with you soon.

d_virginiana
04-08-2012, 02:01 AM
Yes! I withdrawal from my snakes when I cant hold them. I was having problems with depression and I didn't hold my snakies for 3 weeks... I can't stop holding them now that I'm fine. Haha.

I bet the snakes are glad to get held again :D I think reptiles and amphibians (er... and millipedes and fish in my case) are actually really nice as 'therapy' animals. They can be comforting without you needing to give them a lot of attention :)

Welcome back Lora. You can run and go into denial, but eventually the addiction returns. :)
It's really good news that you've found a snake-friendly place to live and that you'll have your garters back with you soon.

Me too. Nothing has been finalized yet, but that's the one thing that's non-negotiable. Wherever I move in this summer, my cold-blooded pets are coming with me.

It's funny, my family actually treats it a little bit like an addiction. I bring a lot of critters up to the house to show people during the summer, and I always get worried looks and questions like "You aren't planning to keep this one, right?" lol

kibakiba
04-08-2012, 02:11 AM
Yeah, Snakey, Mama and Runt have all been clinging to me. It's really cool to see them act like that towards people when they don't get the attention they want for a while. Runt never liked being held, and after the 3 weeks she won't stop climbing onto me and clinging when I try putting her back!
They are a good therapy animal... I wont hold them when I'm having a little depressive episode, but when I get mostly out of the hole I start holding them again. I have an uncontrollable temper sometimes when I'm depressed, so I don't want to risk hurting my snakes because I get a weird mood swing. I also feel like I don't deserve to have them when I'm depressed, and contemplate giving them to a friend that I trust with them... I hope I never do, though, or never have to. These snakies are so special... They're like kids to us! Haha.

guidofatherof5
04-08-2012, 05:51 AM
Nice to see you back.
The crew is looking awesome ;)

EasternGirl
04-08-2012, 08:06 AM
Your snakes are looking very lovely...thanks for the update! Glad to have you back around on the forum! :)

d_virginiana
04-08-2012, 12:14 PM
Thanks to everybody :) I will pass all the happy thoughts on to my snakes.

Yeah, Snakey, Mama and Runt have all been clinging to me. It's really cool to see them act like that towards people when they don't get the attention they want for a while. Runt never liked being held, and after the 3 weeks she won't stop climbing onto me and clinging when I try putting her back!

It's funny the way they act around me when I come home. The first thing I always do is mist the frog since I can't touch him without washing my hands if I've touched anything else, and Harley has started coming out and standing straight up against the side of her cage that borders Trevor's when I do that and following me around the room until I get her out and hold her. :) Houdini just smells me and waves his head around in the air until he finds my arm and climbs on, which is super friendly, since he loves to be held but usually hates the part where you actually go into his tank to get him out.