PDA

View Full Version : getting my first garter next week

Eight
04-07-2012, 03:57 PM
So after reading a lot I've decided that garters are defiantly for me. Saying that most snakes are. I'll hopefully have a cb11 checkered garter by Thursday.

Only two questions, firstly can I ask how regularly people feed their garters, as it wasn't mentioned on the care sheet. An example of what you've fed yours over the course of a month would be great :)

Also what's the maximum size I can expect a cb11 to be? I don't want to sort out an enclosure only to find it is too big or too small. This is the first time I've ordered a reptile over an online store and I'm starting to feel unsure about it.

Thanks in advance

Sam

guidofatherof5
04-07-2012, 04:00 PM
May I ask where you are buying your snake?

Eight
04-07-2012, 04:21 PM
it will either be Blue Lizard Reptiles, or failing that I'll go to a local pet shop a short drive away, as I know they have them in at the moment.

chris-uk
04-07-2012, 04:22 PM
If it's a 2011, as a guide our albino was born earlier and was 42g today. Our normal marcianus was 38g today. Both are around 40cm long.
With one snake it would be quite happy in a 60cm (we have 4 CB11 in a 60x45x45cm and they are quite happy in there, will be splitting them and moving to larger vivs over the summer).

Ours get fed a couple of times a week, on no strict routine as it generally revolves around when I'm working onsite or at home. They get fish most feeds, and every 3 feeds I chuck some pinkies in too.

Eight
04-07-2012, 04:25 PM
If it's a 2011, as a guide our albino was born earlier and was 42g today. Our normal marcianus was 38g today. Both are around 40cm long.
With one snake it would be quite happy in a 60cm (we have 4 CB11 in a 60x45x45cm and they are quite happy in there, will be splitting them and moving to larger vivs over the summer).

Ours get fed a couple of times a week, on no strict routine as it generally revolves around when I'm working onsite or at home. They get fish most feeds, and every 3 feeds I chuck some pinkies in too.

Awesome, useful info on both counts there. I will check that I have a suitable rub set up tomorrow. Have lots of stats and decor in my attic left over from previous enclosures. Should make a fun hour or so :)

chris-uk
04-07-2012, 04:26 PM
it will either be Blue Lizard Reptiles, or failing that I'll go to a local pet shop a short drive away, as I know they have them in at the moment.

Personally, I'd do the drive and look at the snake before I buy it. Also, I'd consider mailing a snake to be a last resort. Even if the local shop was more expensive I'd avoid mail order. Being able to handle and examine the animal before buying it is a significant advantage.

Eight
04-07-2012, 04:28 PM
Personally, I'd do the drive and look at the snake before I buy it. Also, I'd consider mailing a snake to be a last resort. Even if the local shop was more expensive I'd avoid mail order. Being able to handle and examine the animal before buying it is a significant advantage.

I've always thought this. At some point I know I will have to obtain a snake via courier but I may try to leave that for when there is no other alternative.

guidofatherof5
04-07-2012, 05:03 PM
I've always thought this. At some point I know I will have to obtain a snake via courier but I may try to leave that for when there is no other alternative.

I think that is a wise decision.;)