PDA

View Full Version : Someone help me please

BlakeTheSnake
03-29-2012, 12:43 PM
So i just found this garter outside in my yard, and i was wondering if someone could help me figure out what kind of garter he is. Thanks!

katach
03-29-2012, 12:58 PM
A location of where it was found would be helpful. Also we can tell you if you have a boy or a girl if you could get some pics of the underside where the vent is.

BlakeTheSnake
03-29-2012, 01:05 PM
I live in Delaware County. Which is southeast PA. and ok ill get some more pics up soon

guidofatherof5
03-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Looks like the lateral is row 2 and 3.

BlakeTheSnake
03-29-2012, 01:33 PM
I am fairly new to garters, so could you please explain what that means??

wolfpacksved
03-29-2012, 01:45 PM
Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis

guidofatherof5
03-29-2012, 03:00 PM
I am fairly new to garters, so could you please explain what that means??

Sorry for that post. I was just adding some information to help with the I.D.

The lateral stripe is on the side of a garter snake.
Its location (which row of scales the stripe occupies) is important to know.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/lateral.jpg

katach
03-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Looks like an eastern to me. Here is a web site with the various species of herps in your area.
Snakes of Pennsylvania | PA HERP IDENTIFICATION (http://www.paherps.com/herps/snakes)

BlakeTheSnake
03-29-2012, 03:26 PM
ok thank you Steve! and yes I thought it was an eastern too

EasternGirl
03-29-2012, 03:33 PM
That is an eastern...looks exactly like Cee Cee. Looks like it really needs to eat.

BlakeTheSnake
03-29-2012, 03:43 PM
That is an eastern...looks exactly like Cee Cee. Looks like it really needs to eat.

OK thanks! and yes i know, I have tried to feed him fuzzies and earthworms. I'm going to give him about a week and try again.

guidofatherof5
03-29-2012, 03:47 PM
You are probably going to have more luck getting your snake to eat worms after it settles in then mice.

They take a little while to calm down to captive life.
Keep in mind some (rarely) snakes never settle in and need to be released back into the wild.

katach
03-29-2012, 03:51 PM
What kind of viv do you have. They need to feel secure before they will eat. They need a substrate, hides, water dish, and something to climb on. Temps and humidity are important too. Check out the care sheet if you have any questions on what to use. Keep offering food, when I first caught mine I offered every other day. I gave then a day in between because they can get stressed with new stuff.
Garter Snake Forum - Garter Caresheet (http://www.thamnophis.com/index.php?page=caresheet)

BlakeTheSnake
03-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Ok thanks! and yea i will keep trying worms and if he never eats I guess Ill have to release him :(

BlakeTheSnake
03-29-2012, 05:00 PM
And here's a picture of his viv. Im working on getting some heat lamps for him, right now its probably close to room temp.4520

guidofatherof5
03-29-2012, 05:17 PM
I read something about that type of viv. with the backgrounds causing problems.
The problem was snakes getting behind the background between the glass.
I'll try to locate the article and reference it.
Just something to think about.;)

BlakeTheSnake
03-29-2012, 06:05 PM
I read something about that type of viv. with the backgrounds causing problems.
The problem was snakes getting behind the background between the glass.
I'll try to locate the article and reference it.
Just something to think about.;)
Yes i noticed this, he started going behind it at first but after i got some hides and more substrate in there he stopped. So hopefully i won't have anymore problems with it

guidofatherof5
03-29-2012, 06:07 PM
They are exploring creatures. You can count on having problems.;)

BlakeTheSnake
03-29-2012, 06:09 PM
hahah this is very true

EasternGirl
03-29-2012, 07:38 PM
Eastern garters live on earthworms primarily in the wild, so earthworms will be your best bet for getting him to eat...my wild caught easterns only ate earthworms when I first found them. I had to scent pinkies and fish with worms in order to get them to eat those. Now I have them on a mixed diet of pinkies, fish, and worms.

BlakeTheSnake
03-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Eastern garters live on earthworms primarily in the wild, so earthworms will be your best bet for getting him to eat...my wild caught easterns only ate earthworms when I first found them. I had to scent pinkies and fish with worms in order to get them to eat those. Now I have them on a mixed diet of pinkies, fish, and worms.
ok thank you. I am going to try this, now i just need to go catch some nice healthy earthworms :)