PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the South

Reptiliancousin
03-23-2012, 07:21 PM
Hello folks,
I'm completely thrilled at stumbling upon this forum! Though Ribbon Snakes are my favorite I do rather enjoy the Garters.

I happened upon this forum while searching out some information about Ribbons, specfically on where and who's selling them.

The rare aqua blue Ribbon Snakes espcially peak my interest. So far I haven't yet found a person who's selling Westerns or Easterns. I've been searching Kingsnake, Fauna Classifieds, different pet shops, and even Craigslist but haven't found anything recently. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As for myself, I've loved reptiles since I was nine. I once had twelve Green Anole lizards at that age. Most of them all wild caught. From there I moved on to Long-tailed Lizards, a young iguana, to eventually aquiring snakes once I was fourteen.

My first true pet snake was a Nelsons Milksnake. That's not counting all the diffrent ones I'd caught in the wild and kept for while before that & After my Milksnake I caught a Western Ribbon snake at the fish pond in my yard, there my love and favor towards that species grew. Presently I've four Ribbon snakes. Three are Western and one is Eastern. Two of them are wild caught. Out of habit I named them all, Wesley, Charlie, B.J., and Singapore.

Two are boys and two are girls. I just got lucky with that! I've a friend at the local pet shop and he sexed them for me once I finally decided to take them in. This year I've attempted to breed them. I never saw a lock but I'm certainly hopeful.

I paired my biggest male with my largest female and kept the smaller ones & together. But unfortunately my biggest male is also the most fearful of human presence, so I've kept care to stay away.

I've no idea if my pairing was successful. Just for fun I'm attempting to surpass the record length for Ribbon snakes. According to 'Texas Snakes' by Werler and Dixon (I'm sure ya'll are familer with them and their book) the record length is 42 inches. My biggest female, Singapore, is a little over three feet (36 inches). She's also my thickest. Getting closer to breaking the record is exciting for me.

Anyway I'm just glad to have found this forum and I look forward to meeting you all and sharing our reptile experiences!,
Reptiliancousin

infernalis
03-23-2012, 11:00 PM
HTML code is not a normal forum function, I edited out the line break code as well as the ampersands code in your post.

Just type normally as you would any word document, Thank you.

http://www.thamfriends.com/mat.jpg

Didymus20X6
03-23-2012, 11:06 PM
Might I ask how come your post contains so much broken HTML code?

EDIT: Never mind. Looks like it got fixed.

infernalis
03-23-2012, 11:10 PM
Might I ask how come your post contains so much broken HTML code?

Sorry about that, I should have edited before I approved it.

I wonder the same myself.

Must be the OP codes websites??

chris-uk
03-24-2012, 02:36 AM
Welcome to the forum). :)

I'm afraid I can't help with places/people that sell ribbons on your side of the Atlantic. There are several regulars on the forum that keep ribbons though, I don't remember seeing anything from anyone saying they expect their ribbons to breed this year though.
I recently helped relocate 3 ribbons for a friend, they were quite shy snakes but settled when I took them out of their vivs.

You have good taste in snakes, pick up a few garters as well as the ribbons and you will have excellent taste in snakes. :)

EasternGirl
03-24-2012, 05:34 AM
Welcome to the forum! We love pictures!

mikem
03-24-2012, 05:41 AM
Welcome to the forum! indeed, we love pics! :)

guidofatherof5
03-24-2012, 07:11 AM
Welcome to the forum.
I keep just one ribbon but she has captured my heart.
A good source of info. is always the care sheet so I will place a link in this post.
Looking forward to see some photos.
Garter Snake Forum - Garter Caresheet (http://www.thamnophis.com/index.php?page=caresheet)

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/welcome.jpg

Stefan-A
03-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Welcome aboard.

Reptiliancousin
03-24-2012, 09:40 AM
In response to Infernalis I had a little difficulty posting. What happened was I logged in, typed the post, then when I went to submit it logged me out.
So I logged in again and it popped up that it posted. So something must have happened involving HTML. Sorry about that, I've no idea how or why that occurred.

infernalis
03-24-2012, 03:57 PM
No need to apoligize, if the software did it...

hope you enjoy the forum.

Chulio
03-26-2012, 08:25 PM
Hi

Didymus20X6
03-26-2012, 09:02 PM
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/attachments/welcome-lounge/4500d1332817250-just-saying-hi-t9i0px.jpg