PDA

View Full Version : Weird behavior?

Starling96
03-23-2012, 11:03 AM
Have you guys ever had a snake that doesn't really seem to know how to use a water bowl?
That's kind of how my snake acts, he only drinks if I put him in his bowl or if I most the cage.

guidofatherof5
03-23-2012, 11:16 AM
Is it a tall water dish?

EasternGirl
03-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Hmmm...how old is he? We aren't sure of his age right because he is wild caught? It could take him a little time to get used to it I suppose since he obviously did not have experience with a water bowl in the wild...but no, my wild caught snakes figured it out pretty quickly. You are saying he drinks off of the leaves of his plants when you mist the tank? You may have to just take him and sit him in front of the bowl a couple of times a day and try to take some water and put it up toward his mouth with your hand...to get him used to the idea of it.

Light of Dae
03-23-2012, 11:53 AM
try making noise with the water bowl, say take your spray bottle n spray the water so that he hears the water n comes to investigate on his own. Or empty the bowl and pour water in slowly from higher up to make noise as well.

Steve has a good question as well, is it a small snake and a deep / tall water dish? What is the shape? Is the base / bottom wider like this ... /---\ or is the base narrower then the top like this ... \---/
(make those shapes /--\ and \--/ with your hands if you don't fully understand what I mean
The base should be wider then the top so they can kinda use it like an easy access ramp, otherwise if there is to much of a lip (top is wider then the base) then the snake may not realize they have to go 'up' for water and they may just circle around the bottom clueless because nature suggests water is normally down somewhere, not up.

Light of Dae
03-23-2012, 11:58 AM
You could also tap the water with your finger to make splashing sounds. Something to grab his attention that there is water there that he can get to on his own. I noticed with both my snakes that when I would take n clean their water dishes n put them back in dry and then pour water in the dish while in the tank, every time they heard the water, they would come n see n drink.. or swim in it. lol

Starling96
03-23-2012, 12:25 PM
I'm guessing hes only a baby, but the dish is only about an Inch and a quarter and it's straight edges.
I'll try all that and get a new bowl
Thanks for all the input :)

kibakiba
03-23-2012, 05:44 PM
If he isn't stressed out, you can pick him up and put his face up to the water.

Starling96
03-23-2012, 05:48 PM
If he isn't stressed out, you can pick him up and put his face up to the water.
Ive been doing that but he's stuffed with worms so I'm keeping handling to a minimum :)

Starling96
03-23-2012, 05:53 PM
Here's a pic of the little guy :)

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u486/jaxon1298/2c65ae81.jpg