PDA

View Full Version : shipping

aquamentus_11
03-04-2012, 02:26 PM
I realized that I soon won't be able to give Hydra the care and attention she needs with regard to her tail and shedding, etc. Steve was good enough to allow her to come live with him. The problem is...I have no experience with shipping snakes. Which is the best service to use? Where do I get heat packs and how many do I need? A detailed description of how people do this would be very helpful.

EasternGirl
03-04-2012, 05:59 PM
I think your best bet would probably be to call Steve and discuss the details on how to do this with him. He has a lot of experience in this and will surely give you his number...I think it may even be on his profile page. I know that my breeder puts his snakes in a deli cup and then puts them in an insulated container. Whether or not you should use a heat pack will depend on the weather...I know you don't want to use a heat pack if the temps are going to be warm when you are shipping because it can cause the snake to get too warm. You can use Fed Ex or UPS...my breeder uses UPS overnight delivery and specifies what time to have the snake delivered in the morning and sends tracking info so that I can track the package. But I would talk to Steve and see what he recommends and what shipping service he wants you to use...he probably uses one service for his shipping.

mikem
03-04-2012, 06:03 PM
you can't legally ship snakes with ups. here's a list they can and can not ship:

Accepted Live Animals

This is a comprehensive list of live animals accepted for transportation. Shippers are prohibited from shipping any animal not listed here, and all other live animals will not be accepted for transportation. The following live animals are accepted for transportation unless poisonous, venomous, and/or a Threatened or Endangered Species.

Amphibians (All): Examples: frogs, salamanders, toads
Crustaceans (All): Examples: crabs, crawfish, lobsters, shrimp
Fish (All)
Insects (Limited to beneficial insects only): Examples: bees, butterflies, crickets, lady bugs
Mollusks (All): Examples: clams, mussels, snails
Reptiles (Limited to the following):
- Lizards: Examples: chameleons, geckos, iguanas, monitors, flying dragons
- Turtles: freshwater turtles (except: snapping turtles), land tortoises, sea turtles
Worms (All)

Prohibited Live Animals

Live Animals that are prohibited from being shipped and are not accepted for transportation include, but are not limited to:

Any poisonous, venomous or threatening animal
Any Threatened or Endangered species
Arachnids (All): Examples: mites, scorpions, spiders, ticks
Birds (All)
Crocodiles (All): Examples: alligators, caimans, gavials
Mammals (All)
Obnoxious Insects: Examples: flies, locusts, mosquitoes, roaches, termites, weevils
Snakes (All): venomous and non-venomous

aquamentus_11
03-04-2012, 06:06 PM
ok, thanks. i talked to steve and jason and was directed to a site specifically for this: Ship Your Reptiles - Ship Live Reptiles Easily, Securely and Affordably (http://www.shipyourreptiles.com/)

kibakiba
The trick is to not tell them there is a live animal in the box, I believe.

mikem
with that said, you can use shipyourreptiles.com if you're not a certified fedex shipper. check youtube for how to ship snakes. there's a lot of how-to videos that can walk you through the packing process.

katach
03-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Shipyourreptile.com sells packaging materials and it has instruction on exactly how to do it. When to use heat or cold packs and how to fill out your package contents for live animal shipping. I've talked to the owner of the company and he seems like a nice and knowledgeable person. The ship through fedex next day delivery.

EasternGirl
03-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Oh that's pretty cool...

katach
03-05-2012, 12:28 AM
I found the pictures of what I used to ship the babies I had to Joe. I used squishy foam I got at fred myer, a plastic container with small holes in the lid, carefresh inside and crumpled news paper over the top. I gave the a spray of water just before shipping. Bill told fed ex it was rose starts, because we don't have a credit card or bank card to open a business account. Here are the pics. Joe said they arrived in great condition from WA to IL.

katach
03-05-2012, 12:30 AM
One last picture. I hope this helps. I would have used shipyoureptile.com, but I couldn't afford it.