PDA

View Full Version : Newbie!

Natrix
03-02-2012, 06:58 AM
Hi! Just joined the site. I haven't kept snakes for a while but I am looking to get back into the hobby. I will be looking for stock once I have built my vivs. :)

Stefan-A
03-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Welcome aboard.

guidofatherof5
03-02-2012, 08:33 AM
Nice to have you on the forum.
Here's a link to the forum care sheet.
Garter Snake Forum - Garter Caresheet (http://www.thamnophis.com/index.php?page=caresheet)

GarterGuy17
03-02-2012, 08:57 AM
Welcome from New York City !! Glad to have you here. :)

Selkielass
03-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Welcome to the 'Tham-ily'! (Natrix doesn't pun so easily, sorry...)

EasternGirl
03-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Welcome to the forum!

katach
03-02-2012, 09:43 AM
Welcome to the forum family!

Natrix
03-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Thanks Guys. Just wish we had the variety of snakes in the uk that you guys have over there.:)

chris-uk
03-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Welcome aboard. There's some garters available here, this isn't a good time of year for them though. There's also some nice natrix available if you know the right people.

mikem
03-02-2012, 02:36 PM
welcome to the forum! i like me some natrix! wish there were more available here in the states, especially natrix maura :cool:

guidofatherof5
03-02-2012, 03:35 PM
welcome to the forum! i like me some natrix! wish there were more available here in the states, especially natrix maura :cool:

You might check with Julio (sirtalis01) He had a few for sale
View Profile: sirtalis01 - Garter Snake Forum (http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/members/sirtalis01.html)
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/sale-trade-adoption/9626-natrix-natrix-europian-grass-snakes.html

aquamentus_11
03-02-2012, 03:50 PM
welcome. i like the name. had considered going with Nate-rix....that's kind of punnish

Natrix
03-02-2012, 04:31 PM
welcome. i like the name. had considered going with Nate-rix....that's kind of punnish
The Native Grass Snake as been a favourite of mine ever since childhood. Never had the chance to keep one. Now they have protected status in the UK It could prove difficult to obtain one. But you never know! ;)

chris-uk
03-02-2012, 05:30 PM
There's quite a few European natrix around in the UK. I don't think they are easy to come by, but at least they aren't protected like our own native species.

Natrix
03-03-2012, 02:57 AM
There's quite a few European natrix around in the UK. I don't think they are easy to come by, but at least they aren't protected like our own native species.
The thing is Chris, I don't know any breeders/Keepers. You mentioned EU Garter Breeders, Can you suggest any websites that are in English?

chris-uk
03-03-2012, 03:19 AM
Greg has some good links on his website:
http://thamnophis-alba.m.webs.com
Including links to several of the European guys. Sjoerd from CrazyReptiles posts on here fairly frequently, as do Udo, and Gijs and Sabine. There's a few garter/natrix people around in the Midlands, there's a meeting on Wednesday where I hope to catch up with some of them. I'm not sure who is likely to be breeding what this year. I went to the IHS meet at Doncaster in September and there wasn't a single garter on a table, really annoying that such great snakes are so difficult to find.
I know that crazyreptiles are coming to Donny this year, so there will be some garters this year.

I would suggest checking the RFUK classifieds forum, it's worth keeping an eye on, but not many garters come up for sale on there. The forum does give you hints every now and then about who may be breeding interesting species this year.

gregmonsta
03-03-2012, 03:58 AM
Greetings :D

Natrix
03-03-2012, 05:34 AM
Greg has some good links on his website:
http://thamnophis-alba.m.webs.com
Including links to several of the European guys. Sjoerd from CrazyReptiles posts on here fairly frequently, as do Udo, and Gijs and Sabine. There's a few garter/natrix people around in the Midlands, there's a meeting on Wednesday where I hope to catch up with some of them. I'm not sure who is likely to be breeding what this year. I went to the IHS meet at Doncaster in September and there wasn't a single garter on a table, really annoying that such great snakes are so difficult to find.
I know that crazyreptiles are coming to Donny this year, so there will be some garters this year.

I would suggest checking the RFUK classifieds forum, it's worth keeping an eye on, but not many garters come up for sale on there. The forum does give you hints every now and then about who may be breeding interesting species this year.
Thanks for the info Chris. I can't understand why there arn't many Garters in the UK, They were ten a penny in the shops 15yr ago Now it's all Milk Snakes, King Snakes, and Corn Snakes ( they have done really well ), as well as the Boas, Pythons, Weardy Beardies and Geckos that seem to be all the rage.

Natrix
03-03-2012, 05:36 AM
Greetings :D
Hi! Greg, Now is that Perth, Scotland or Perth Australia??? I take it, it is the first? ;)

chris-uk
03-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the info Chris. I can't understand why there arn't many Garters in the UK, They were ten a penny in the shops 15yr ago Now it's all Milk Snakes, King Snakes, and Corn Snakes ( they have done really well ), as well as the Boas, Pythons, Weardy Beardies and Geckos that seem to be all the rage.

We got our first snake last year, an albino checkered, from a shop. I think we got lucky. I can't understand why there aren't more around, and I think there's a certain amount of snobbery in reptile circles in the UK - if it's not a boa, or the latest royal python morph it's a second class snake. I say bollocks to that, give me garters.

guidofatherof5
03-03-2012, 12:50 PM
We got our first snake last year, an albino checkered, from a shop. I think we got lucky. I can't understand why there aren't more around, and I think there's a certain amount of snobbery in reptile circles in the UK - if it's not a boa, or the latest royal python morph it's a second class snake. I say bollocks to that, give me garters.

Hear, hear.

snakehill
03-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Snake snobbery occurs in the US too! ;)

RedSidedSPR
03-03-2012, 04:07 PM
I say bollocks to that, give me garters.

Yes.

EasternGirl
03-04-2012, 04:38 AM
I think if there is going to be snake snobbery, then those of us with garters should be the snobs...they are obviously the superior snake over pythons and boas...I mean, seriously, is there any competition?